Marion water question

Brewing techniques -- how to brew, beginner to advanced, ask it here.

Re: Marion water question

Postby carrisr » Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:50 pm

I also highly recommend Bru'n water. Even better, there's a "pro" version you can get for a small donation. The author of the spreadsheet is the same guy that wrote the information Dan linked to. I've learned a lot from posts Martin has made over the years.
Randy Carris
Robotic Brewer
Randy All the Time Brewing
carrisr
Site Admin

Postby fargo41 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:20 am

One of these days I'll switch to RO. If anyone is interested I have the detailed water report from the marion water dept. Not sure if Marion has two water sources or what but, I don't mind the taste of our water, but have a friend that lives up by linn mar off of 29th and I can't stand the taste of their water.
Craig
fargo41

Postby czubak » Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:40 am

fargo41 wrote:One of these days I'll switch to RO. If anyone is interested I have the detailed water report from the marion water dept. Not sure if Marion has two water sources or what but, I don't mind the taste of our water, but have a friend that lives up by linn mar off of 29th and I can't stand the taste of their water.

I'm near Linn Grove Elementary and our water is terrible. We have a whole house softener but the outside pipes are straight water. I use a 5 micron filter is all currently with no plans for RO. I would like to learn more about what additives to add for the style I'm brewing. Seems like the logical next step to make better beers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Chris Zubak
czubak

Postby fargo41 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:22 pm

I use a whole house filter just for my brewing water and just run it really slow. I bypass the softener if I'm collecting water inside. I feel what has helped my beer this last year was to get the ph down using lactic acid.
Craig
fargo41

Postby czubak » Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:22 pm

I got an RV hose and filter for Christmas. Will use that tonight along with my whole house and see what happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chris Zubak
czubak

Postby fargo41 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:48 am

Here is the Marion water report entered into Bru'n Water for anyone who is interested.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2015-01-02 at 10.46.58 AM.png
Screen Shot 2015-01-02 at 10.46.58 AM.png (169.63 KiB) Viewed 1010 times
Craig
fargo41

Postby carrisr » Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:34 am

For some reason TapaTalk just got around to showing me this. Wow, I think that maybe worse than my well water.
Randy Carris
Robotic Brewer
carrisr
Site Admin

Postby carrisr » Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:49 am

Ok. Something is really off here as the cations and anions aren't anywhere near balance. Usual suspects are magnesium and sulfate.
Randy Carris
Robotic Brewer
carrisr
Site Admin

Postby fargo41 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:32 pm

Yeah I noticed that the cation and anions are off, but isn't it just slightly out of balance, should be within .5 and it is .57? I've double checked the numbers with the full report from the U of I. But yes the water in Marion is hard to work with. I just looked and the report is from 2010 not sure how often they run new ones, but I might need to check if they have an updated one.
Craig
fargo41

Postby czubak » Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:45 pm

I'm tempted to buy RO water and use the additions Dan mentioned is this or another water thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chris Zubak
czubak

Postby carrisr » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:27 pm

Well it's not unworkable, there's probably just something there that's not on the report. In any case, there's a lot not great there besides the alkalinity such as high sodium, magnesium, and sulfate.
Randy Carris
Robotic Brewer
carrisr
Site Admin

Postby czubak » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:42 am

Just got this from the City of Marion

Our annual water quality report can be found on our website at http://www.cityofmarion.org/departments ... ts-reports . I also attached it to this email. We are currently in the process of completing this annual report again, and it should be available in the next 30 days or so. It will also be posted on our website.
Attachments
Consumer Confidence 2014.pdf
(200.5 KiB) Downloaded 118 times
Chris Zubak
czubak

Postby czubak » Fri May 01, 2015 7:44 am

Talking with Dan and I am going to use RO to brew tonight as well as for BBD tomorrow with the additions he outlined earlier to the mash only. For sparge I am just going to use RO water as is.

I want to use Brun but I need to learn a lot yet and willing to be taught if anyone wants to sit down sometime (or do another tech meeting). In a perfect world I would love to be able to work with Marion water, but going to buy RO is not a deal breaker if the end results are much improved beer. I just need to get the base numbers (be it RO or tap water) put into Brun, that is where I am road blocked.
Chris Zubak
czubak

Postby andrewmaixner » Fri May 01, 2015 8:52 am

czubak wrote:Talking with Dan and I am going to use RO to brew tonight as well as for BBD tomorrow with the additions he outlined earlier to the mash only. For sparge I am just going to use RO water as is.

I want to use Brun but I need to learn a lot yet and willing to be taught if anyone wants to sit down sometime (or do another tech meeting). In a perfect world I would love to be able to work with Marion water, but going to buy RO is not a deal breaker if the end results are much improved beer. I just need to get the base numbers (be it RO or tap water) put into Brun, that is where I am road blocked.

I also just started, on my most recent batch, to go RO. I got very good efficiency on straight RO, no additions, for a Leffe Blonde clone recipe.

I'll see how it turns out, as the 5Gal portion lost a crap-ton of its yeast to blow-off (also did 1.5Gal in a second fermenter that was just fine, so I'll have a basis for comparison to see if the yeast loss mattered.).
Last edited by andrewmaixner on Sun May 03, 2015 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
andrewmaixner

Postby carrisr » Sat May 02, 2015 11:03 am

I'd be happy to walk you through Bru'n Water. I recommend springing for the "pro" version. It's a little more streamlined and has a few more useful tools.
Randy Carris
Robotic Brewer
carrisr
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Tech Corner