Sparging

Brewing techniques -- how to brew, beginner to advanced, ask it here.

Re: Sparging

Postby UndeadFred » Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:42 pm

andrewmaixner wrote:Fred, you can "sparge" the bag with cold water. The difference between hot/cold at that point is diminishing an order of magnitude -- like "10% of 10%" increase

Well I might have a controller-less electric (i.e. plug in and unplug manually, a 120V element with just a cord on it, 20A) pot already setup but with no valve on it. I might also have a spare "solar" pump. So, you probably see why a "ghetto" HLT interests me. I use it currently for heating up water to clean stuff. I need to order a valve and probably another weldless fitting and that is likely all I'd need for a "hot sparge". I will probably hit up Bargain Fitting by the Christmas break. It's tempting to also use it for quick and dirty extract batches which I tend to need to do at this time of year to get the pipeline back up.

Fred
UndeadFred

Postby TappedOut » Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:25 pm

Another cheap option if you're not too picky about sparge temp is to pick up a bucket heater from Theisen's.
TappedOut

Postby whitedj » Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:48 pm

TappedOut wrote:Another cheap option if you're not too picky about sparge temp is to pick up a bucket heater from Theisen's.

Brew hardware has a more 'food grade' sanitary version on this for more coin if that's your style.
The guy who submitted a barley wine in the Furious competition...
whitedj

Postby whitedj » Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:51 pm

daryl wrote:I'm sure it's very similar to what's in Dan's porcelain mash tun, the one he uses for Uncle Dan's Prison Wine.
:shock:

It makes a great whirlpool too!
The guy who submitted a barley wine in the Furious competition...
whitedj

Postby daryl » Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:30 pm

whitedj wrote:
daryl wrote:I'm sure it's very similar to what's in Dan's porcelain mash tun, the one he uses for Uncle Dan's Prison Wine.
:shock:

It makes a great whirlpool too!

Funny :lol:
In the Fridge/On Tap: Salted Caramel Porter
In the barrel/conditioning:
In the bucket: P-nut Brittle Ale, Blueberry and Blk Rasp. Mead; Tangerine Wheat; Spont. Funk; Swarthy Beagle
In the queue: Pils Urquell Clone, American Wheat
daryl

Postby karl » Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:34 pm

From what I understand Dan doesn't fly sparge for the Prison Wine; the flapper valve is so poor at flow control that he batch (err, flush) sparges.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
karl

Postby tony b » Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:10 pm

You guys are killin' me! :lol:
A Mighty Wind's A Brewing

“Life is short - break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile” ― Mae West
tony b

Previous

Return to Tech Corner