Belgian Wit......and Brett

Brewing techniques -- how to brew, beginner to advanced, ask it here.

Belgian Wit......and Brett

Postby czubak » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:44 pm

Made 10 gallons for the club comp and when I keg 5 I planned on adding Brettanomyces Bruxellensis to secondary. Having never messed with Brett, how long do you recommend I let it sit? I was thinking at least a month, longer if needed and if it's good it might be a decent offering for the festival.

Thoughts?
Chris Zubak
czubak

Re: Belgian Wit......and Brett

Postby andrewmaixner » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:53 pm

put it in now. Note that different bretts have different flavor profiles (funk/barn/horse, funk/tropical, tart cherry, etc) and select accordingly. May also want to look up what the aromatics from from wit get turned into ( http://www.milkthefunk.com/wiki/Brettan ... Production )

That said -- put it in ASAP, sometimes it is slow.
andrewmaixner

Postby czubak » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:56 pm

I don't want it in now. I want 5 gallons for the comp without and 5 with Brett. Not worried about the timeline.
Chris Zubak
czubak

Postby DrPaulsen » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:39 pm

I would pitch it after racking to a secondary and then warm it up. Keep it at 80F+ if you want a lot of horse blanket funk quickly.
DrPaulsen

Postby czubak » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:45 am

DrPaulsen wrote:I would pitch it after racking to a secondary and then warm it up. Keep it at 80F+ if you want a lot of horse blanket funk quickly.

Thanks Lee, not looking for a quick turnaround really. I can set it upstairs and let it sit in the upper 60's low 70's for months if I so desire. I have plenty other beers to drink in the mean time.
Chris Zubak
czubak

Return to Tech Corner