Storing Hops

Brewing techniques -- how to brew, beginner to advanced, ask it here.

Storing Hops

Postby daryl » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:56 am

How do you store your stock of hops....do you freeze them or refrigerate them?

For vacuum sealed hops, how do you keep them once you've opened the package?

How long do you store hops....1 year? More...or less?
In the Fridge/On Tap: Salted Caramel Porter
In the barrel/conditioning:
In the bucket: P-nut Brittle Ale, Blueberry and Blk Rasp. Mead; Tangerine Wheat; Spont. Funk; Swarthy Beagle
In the queue: Pils Urquell Clone, American Wheat
daryl

Re: Storing Hops

Postby DrPaulsen » Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:17 am

All hops go in my freezer. Opened hops are stored in CO2-flushed mason jars. Haven't noticed an issue with aroma even in 2-3 year old hops.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
DrPaulsen

Postby czubak » Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:18 am

Freeze them. I use canning jars for storage and bought a vacuum sealer attachment to suck the air out. For labels I just use the label the hops bag came in and pinch it with the lid ring. I usually buy all my hops by the pound.
Chris Zubak
czubak

Postby Matt F » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:30 pm

They all go in a cardboard box in my freezer labeled "Hop Box." I use a vacuum sealer. Once opened I reseal in the bag them came in unless not enough room. Most of the time I dump them in a larger bag that can take multiple cuts out of it and still be resealed. I use them until they are gone. Some have been in there 2-3 years and still smell great. I keep the labels from the original package and often write a year on there. I buy hops by the pound too. Kind of need to when you use a 2 pounds of hops in a batch of IPA.
Matt Franklin
Slappy Brewing North

On Tap:
Saison
Matt Damon in my Mouth

Fermenting:
Tree House Julius Clone

Up Next:
Belgian Dubbel/Sour
Coffee Chocolate Latte Stout
Peanut Butter Cup Stout
Matt F

Postby MikeB » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:37 pm

I moved across the country almost 2 years ago and brought about 11 oz of hops that I had in original vacuum sealed packaging that had been in my freezer for a year or so and I didn't brew for over a year after getting here. Long story short I used all the hops in my last beer and it is delightfully hoppy with no noticeable drop off in flavor or aroma for 3+ year old hops that mostly stayed in the freezer the whole time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MikeB

Postby UndeadFred » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:29 pm

Chest Freezer, Vacuum Sealer if I'm not going to use more in a week or two (dry hopping) tight Ziploc otherwise.

Three year old hops work perfectly fine. I know the AA's for the bittering should be much less, but they sure don't seem to be...

I should add that my hops are in two dark plastic bags as well to keep light out.
UndeadFred

Postby andrewmaixner » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:15 am

DrPaulsen wrote:All hops go in my freezer. Opened hops are stored in CO2-flushed mason jars. Haven't noticed an issue with aroma even in 2-3 year old hops.

that's how I do mine also. 1lb pellets will fit in 4 2-cup mason jars.
andrewmaixner

Return to Tech Corner