Sometimes The Day Doesn't Go As Planned....

Brewing techniques -- how to brew, beginner to advanced, ask it here.

Re: Sometimes The Day Doesn't Go As Planned....

Postby daryl » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:54 am

UPDATE - the carboy and contents are up to 95F.

There is not alot of out-gassing, but there is more sediment in the bottom of the carboy...probably from the lacto kicking in.

What was interesting, there was significant trub from the wild/spontaneous fermentation that occurred, that I observed when I racked this Frankenstein into the carboy. So I am wondering how much fermentable sugars are available to the lactobacillus?

Will crank it up to 100 this evening.

How long should I keep this creature in the fermentation chamber? What do I monitor (SG, pH, ?)?

And, should I finish the kettle souring process, and add a beer yeast to finish - or go straight to bottling?

Borrowing the name from Steven Prochaska; if this turns out decent, I am going to call it Dankenstein!

If it doesn't, it will be good starter for the septic tank! :shock:
In the Fridge/On Tap: Salted Caramel Porter
In the barrel/conditioning:
In the bucket: P-nut Brittle Ale, Blueberry and Blk Rasp. Mead; Tangerine Wheat; Spont. Funk; Swarthy Beagle
In the queue: Pils Urquell Clone, American Wheat
daryl

Postby mjensen52402 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:01 am

Checking your pH might not hurt. If it is above 5 add sone lactic, or a small bit of phosphoric. It always took mine a while to get started.
mjensen52402

Postby daryl » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:58 pm

So this batch set at 100F for almost a month; and the Lactose really did not take off. It has been in the fridge now since then at about 45F.

Some have sampled it, and it seems to have the proper 'funk' taste, but it needs the lacto-sour.

Pat suggested I brew 5 gallons of sour and blend...not a bad idea; and I get 10 gallons of beer.....not my most favorite style, but if it's good, I am sure I can get some help liquidating it.

But Mark was talking about using 88% Lactic Acid....sounded like the acid acted as a catalyst to get the lacto to kick in.

After all of this time, if I raise the temp on this beer, is there any reasonable chance that adding the lactic acid will have the desired effect? I was thinking of adding a eighth of a teaspoon? Should be more?

If I do add it, and it succeeds, how long will it take?
In the bucket: P-nut Brittle Ale, Blueberry and Blk Rasp. Mead; Tangerine Wheat; Spont. Funk; Swarthy Beagle
daryl

Postby wyzzyrdd » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:23 pm

You go to BIY and buy a little bottle of lactic acid. Add a bit at a time until you get the level of sour you want. Then you are done. Keg it.
Pat McCusker
wyzzyrdd

Postby mjensen52402 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:30 pm

If you hopped the original wort the lacto will never do anything.
mjensen52402

Postby daryl » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:31 pm

wyzzyrdd wrote:You go to BIY and buy a little bottle of lactic acid. Add a bit at a time until you get the level of sour you want. Then you are done. Keg it.

I can do that. How much would you suggest I add for five gallons?
daryl

Postby daryl » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:33 pm

mjensen52402 wrote:If you hopped the original wort the lacto will never do anything.

That is exactly what happened. And what makes this more surprising is that the wild yeasts took hold. When I make my plambic wheat base, I will use debittered hops.

Ok, so I've learned quite a bit from this.

Thanks everyone.
daryl

Postby karl » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:33 am

Yes, I've learned from reading this too. Good discussion. Thanks all!

Karl

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
karl

Postby andrewmaixner » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:51 am

daryl wrote:
mjensen52402 wrote:If you hopped the original wort the lacto will never do anything.

That is exactly what happened. And what makes this more surprising is that the wild yeasts took hold. When I make my plambic wheat base, I will use debittered hops.

Those will still stop the lacto. most lacto is VERY hop-sensitive (even 1 IBU equivalent will stop it). Boil with no hops, and when desired acidity has been reached, then add the dried hops to the fermenter.
andrewmaixner

Postby twiggy2164 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:24 pm

Just curious Daryl, what was your calculated IBU's? I read a lot saying 10-20 was still ok with lacto, my sour is about 6 IBU and I'm freaking out now.

Tattoo Travis
twiggy2164

Previous

Return to Tech Corner