Bottling Mead

Brewing techniques -- how to brew, beginner to advanced, ask it here.

Re: Bottling Mead

Postby wyzzyrdd » Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:56 pm

tony b wrote:Pat, what do you use for labels? Looking for something easy to print on, and more importantly, come off the bottles without a lot of soaking/scrubbing.

I buy avery labels at any office supply shop. They do not scrub off particularly easy. Avoid the "removable" avery labels because those will sweat off a bottle in a cooler.

I know lots of people that use plain paper and then stick glue or something equivalent.

Since I keep bottles around for 10 to 12 years, I use labels that won't come off and then scrub them off when I get a good collection of bottles.
Pat McCusker
wyzzyrdd

Postby wyzzyrdd » Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:58 pm

So my friends at East Grove now use 500 ml (16 oz), clear-glass, swing-top bottles exclusively. They buy them by the pallet and will order in another month or so. We can get some from him at his cost. Let me know if you are interested.
Pat McCusker
wyzzyrdd

Postby wyzzyrdd » Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:01 pm

So I have ten cases of 750 ml Green Bordeaux Flat Bottom

http://www.shorecontainer.com/750mlgree ... ottom.aspx

And eight cases of 750 ml Green Burgundy Flat Bottom

http://www.shorecontainer.com/750mlgree ... ottom.aspx

In my garage right now. I can sell them for $10 a case if anyone is interested.

These are not the cheap green bottles you see in home brew shops. These are winery grade bottles (I got them from East Grove).
Pat McCusker
wyzzyrdd

Postby daryl » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:21 am

Pat - do you always inactivate your yeast/stabilize the mead, with potassium sorbate) prior to bottling still mead?
In the Fridge/On Tap: Salted Caramel Porter
In the barrel/conditioning:
In the bucket: P-nut Brittle Ale, Blueberry and Blk Rasp. Mead; Tangerine Wheat; Spont. Funk; Swarthy Beagle
In the queue: Pils Urquell Clone, American Wheat
daryl

Postby wyzzyrdd » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:17 pm

daryl wrote:Pat - do you always inactivate your yeast/stabilize the mead, with potassium sorbate) prior to bottling still mead?

When I make dry red wine, I just add potassium metabisulfite to protect against oxidation and spoilage organisms.

When I make anything not dry, I wait until all evidence of fermentation has stopped, and then I wait some more. Then I back sweeten to taste and add both potassium sorbate (to prevent the yeast from starting back up again) and potassium metabisulfite to protect against oxidation and spoilage organisms.

Neither sulfite nor sorbate will stop an active fermentation.
Pat McCusker
wyzzyrdd

Postby wyzzyrdd » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:02 pm

Story time:

I made a large batch of blush colored pyment that I let sit in carboys for more than two years -- bone dry, crystal clear, and definitely not fermenting.

I back sweetened to about 1% sugar by weight -- not much, just enough to be not bone dry.

I bottled it, but forgot to add sorbate.

A year later, I am sleeping in before heading to the airport for a business trip. My wife comes in before leaving for work to tell me I am blowing corks in basement.

Two corks on the floor and product all over the place. I see several dozen more bottles with extended corks.

I pulled corks from 4 dozen bottles (in the backyard -- they were spectacular gushers). I dumped the rest of the product down the drain, and then went to the airport.

ALWAYS USE SORBATE if you plan to back sweeten your products.
Pat McCusker
wyzzyrdd

Postby wyzzyrdd » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:10 am

My friends at East Grove Meadery have another 20 cases of bottles to get rid of. I will be going to pick them up sometime in the next couple of weeks. Let me know if you are interested in getting any bottles.
Pat McCusker
wyzzyrdd

Postby daryl » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:50 am

wyzzyrdd wrote:My friends at East Grove Meadery have another 20 cases of bottles to get rid of. I will be going to pick them up sometime in the next couple of weeks. Let me know if you are interested in getting any bottles.

Are those the swing top?

How much do they want per case?

BTW - Justin told me to tell you hello.

Thanks,
D
In the Fridge/On Tap: Salted Caramel Porter
In the barrel/conditioning:
In the bucket: P-nut Brittle Ale, Blueberry and Blk Rasp. Mead; Tangerine Wheat; Spont. Funk; Swarthy Beagle
In the queue: Pils Urquell Clone, American Wheat
daryl

Postby wyzzyrdd » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:17 pm

These are standard, cork-finish 750 ml wine bottles. East Grove is moving or has moved entirely to 500 ml swing-tops. So they are just clearing out bottles they don't intend to use. Last time I paid $10 a case. Kurt said there were a lot of cobalt blue bottles that cost more than the others. I have not asked for the price he wants this time. I just said I would pick them all up.

I have 30 cases (in a mix of styles) that I got from him last spring. And I will get whatever he has left next time I go down.
Pat McCusker
wyzzyrdd

Previous

Return to Tech Corner