Parti-gyle hijinx

Brewing techniques -- how to brew, beginner to advanced, ask it here.

Parti-gyle hijinx

Postby Schwerkraftbrauer » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:33 am

Some buddys and I are taking an annual ice fishing trip in January, I volunteered my services on bringing some home brew beer for said trip in portable kegs.

So, to the educated masses out there I want to brew two types of beer but do it on the same day to help save time. A couple of the guys are true IPA lovers so I was thinking about making a higher gravity IPA for one keg and wanting to do a lighter less hopped (easy drinker) beer in the other. I'm interested in the parti-gyle method but have never done one and just starting my research on it, any advice or helpful dos and do nots would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks everyone.
Jones County Joel
Schwerkraftbrauer

Re: Parti-gyle hijinx

Postby Matt F » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:02 am

Closest I have come to doing this is using second running from a barlewine or imperial stout to make a small beer. I would collect wort until SG hit 1.008. Not really a true parti-gyle though.
Matt Franklin
Slappy Brewing North

On Tap:
Saison
Matt Damon in my Mouth
Tree House Julius Clone

Fermenting:
Belgian Dubbel/Sour
Matt F

Postby daryl » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:45 pm

I might be able to help with some of the preliminary calculations.

Approach 1 - Big Beer - Small Beer
What is your target Boil Gravity for your high gravity IPA and what is an acceptable BG range for your lower gravity brew?

What is the size of you mini-kegs?

Are you shooting for equal volumes of each brew? For example, if you have two 2.5 kegs, are you looking to fill them both?

Knowing this, we can work backwards, and determine what range of styles you might be able to do with the second runnings.

Approach 2 - Big Beer IPA 1 / Big Beer ??? 2 with amendments
Alternatively, you could make both high gravity, split the wort; proceed with the IPA as needed; and then do a parallel boil with the other half - which you can add steeping grains to make a variety of beers (dark, amber, brown); and then use a different yeast and hop profile for the two parallel boils.
In the Fridge/On Tap: Salted Caramel Porter
In the barrel/conditioning:
In the bucket: P-nut Brittle Ale, Blueberry and Blk Rasp. Mead; Tangerine Wheat; Spont. Funk; Swarthy Beagle
In the queue: Pils Urquell Clone, American Wheat
daryl

Postby Schwerkraftbrauer » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:16 pm

Daryl, I guess my bigger beer I would prefer if it was somewhere in the range of 1.070 to 1.080 if it is even possible. the second beer I would like no less than 1.040. but you do make interesting points of stuff I haven't considered about turning the second Runnings with steep grains into a different beer entirely, so it doesn't sacrifice flavor. I plan to brew equal amounts of beer trying to get as close to 5 gallons as possible in each keg. Granted if I have to go less and say 3 or even 4 gallons in one and then 5 and the other I would be okay with it.
I like your ideas and it would be nice to have any ipa and an amber beer to change it up, with stepping grains that might be possible
Much to think about...
Jones County Joel
Schwerkraftbrauer

Postby daryl » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:29 am

In the Fridge/On Tap: Salted Caramel Porter
In the barrel/conditioning:
In the bucket: P-nut Brittle Ale, Blueberry and Blk Rasp. Mead; Tangerine Wheat; Spont. Funk; Swarthy Beagle
In the queue: Pils Urquell Clone, American Wheat
daryl

Postby Schwerkraftbrauer » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:31 am

Nice links Daryl, very helpful as i make a recipe for this, not as easy as i thought originally but I'm up for the challenge and experiment.
Jones County Joel
Schwerkraftbrauer

Return to Tech Corner