Kettle sours

Brewing techniques -- how to brew, beginner to advanced, ask it here.

Kettle sours

Postby MikeB » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:19 pm

Anyone ever had a problem with their yeast stalling or stopping with a low ph wort? My kettle sour seems to have stalled at 1.024 with safale-58 which I have never used before. It started bubbling right away and seemed to be fermenting solidly but then it just stopped and has been hanging out at 1.024 for a week or so. Can I pitch more yeast at this point? Any suggestions? It’s been at ambient temp in the basement which stays around 65-68 usually. I’m thinking the low ph probably has something to do with it, but again it took off right away and seemed fine at first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MikeB

Re: Kettle sours

Postby MikeB » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:20 pm

And no I don’t have a ph meter, but it’s pretty sour so probably around 3.2

MikeB

Postby twiggy2164 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:34 pm

Maybe warming it up a few degrees could help kick it off again. If you can get it into a warmer room and give the fermenter a little shake to get it stirred up, that might get it going.

Tattoo Travis
twiggy2164

Postby MikeB » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:26 pm

twiggy2164 wrote:Maybe warming it up a few degrees could help kick it off again. If you can get it into a warmer room and give the fermenter a little shake to get it stirred up, that might get it going.

Tattoo Travis

Thanks, I’ll see if that does anything, my fermwrap is tied up at the moment keeping another carboy warm

MikeB

Postby tony b » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:48 pm

I was going to ask about temps in your brewing area as being the likely culprit. My brewing room has been around 57F lately, so I took my keg and bottles of the winter warmer, upstairs to naturally carbonate. I thought about wrapping the keg in my Fermwrap, but since upstairs is like 10F warmer already, why run up the electricity bill any more than necessary?

All my kettle sour experience was in warmer weather, so I don't have any direct advice about the pH effects. I had no problems fermenting out my sour beers.

Let us know what you end up doing as help to others.
A Mighty Wind's A Brewing

“Life is short - break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile” ― Mae West
tony b

Postby MikeB » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:27 pm

tony b wrote:I was going to ask about temps in your brewing area as being the likely culprit. My brewing room has been around 57F lately, so I took my keg and bottles of the winter warmer, upstairs to naturally carbonate. I thought about wrapping the keg in my Fermwrap, but since upstairs is like 10F warmer already, why run up the electricity bill any more than necessary?

All my kettle sour experience was in warmer weather, so I don't have any direct advice about the pH effects. I had no problems fermenting out my sour beers.

Let us know what you end up doing as help to others.

I guess it has been a little “chilly” lately, could have something to do with it. I will update with any success or failure

MikeB

Return to Tech Corner