YEAST BANK

Brewing techniques -- how to brew, beginner to advanced, ask it here.

YEAST BANK

Postby BrewHound » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:36 pm

For those of you who did not attend the last tech meeting. We did yeast culturing. I have started my yeast bank. I do not mind sharing at all if anyone needs yeast of the strains that I have already.

Also hopefully I can use some of you to further propigate the bank. So if you are brewing a beer please check here for strains that are in it. If you are brewing with a strain that I do not have, please let me know(by email or PM, I want to try to keep this forum to bank contents by participants only), I may be able to stop by on your brew day (BEFORE YOU BUILD A STARTER PLEASE) and grab a swab (very small, just a dip of the wand to grab a couple of cells, won't affect your brew day at all).

Also, ideally, it is best if you have several people participating in a bank holding copies of the strain. I know Kurt showed interest, I am hoping that several others may consider joining in so that we can make this work.

Here is what I have cultured already

YEAST BANK CONTENTS

White Labs
WLP001 White Labs California Ale
WLP002 White Labs English Ale
WLP013 White Labs London Ale
WLP300 White Labs Hefeweizen (not cultured yet)

Wyeast
Wyeast 1056 American Ale (not cultured yet)
Wyeast 1728 Scottish Ale (not cultured yet)
Wyeast 3763 Roeselare Ale Blend (not cultured yet)
BrewHound

Postby kurtford » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:48 pm

on my next order i'll do an all grain hefe-weizen and order the white labs hefe, any seggestions on a good clove/banana flavor hefe recipe.
Beer! It's not just for breakfast anymore!
kurtford

Postby Matt F » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:06 pm

First of all Jeremy, I am not sure I am comfortable with you using a forum label called "Sticky."

Second, very cool. It will be nice to see your bank grow and how well it works out. Not to mention having a local source for yeast. Wish I could have made the last presentation.
Matt Franklin
Slappy Brewing North

On Tap:
Saison
Matt Damon in my Mouth

Fermenting:
NE Pale Ale

Up Next:
Belgian Dubbel
Coffee Chocolate Latte Stout
Peanut Butter Cup Stout
Matt F

Postby BrewHound » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:42 pm

kurtford wrote:on my next order i'll do an all grain hefe-weizen and order the white labs hefe, any seggestions on a good clove/banana flavor hefe recipe.

Kurt, maybe I was unclear about my above post.
The ones that say not cultured yet, are strains that I have sitting in my fridge that I have yet to brew with. So you don't need to do a hefe (unless of course you were already planning too or want too?). A strain that we all use that I do not have in the list that would be a good addition to the bank would be one of the Belgain strains such as the following:

Wyeast 1214 Belgian Abbey
Wyeast 1388 Belgian Strong Ale
Wyeast 1762 Belgian Abbey II
Wyeast 3522 Belgian Ardennes

White Labs WLP500 Trappist Ale
White Labs WLP530 Abbey Ale
White Labs WLP540 Abbey IV - Platinum Series
White Labs WLP550 Belgian Ale
White Labs WLP570 Belgian Golden Ale
BrewHound

Postby BrewHound » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:44 pm

Matt F wrote:First of all Jeremy, I am not sure I am comfortable with you using a forum label called "Sticky."

Second, very cool. It will be nice to see your bank grow and how well it works out. Not to mention having a local source for yeast. Wish I could have made the last presentation.

Dang matt, I thought you would like the "Sticky", thought it would remind you of the way I left you after the first night of NHC!
BrewHound

Postby kurtford » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:33 am

I must of read it wrong, Does anyone have a good all grain Belgium recipe I could use instead. I might just make a couple of them with my next order instead.
Beer! It's not just for breakfast anymore!
kurtford

Postby BrewHound » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:34 am

kurtford wrote:I must of read it wrong, Does anyone have a good all grain Belgium recipe I could use instead. I might just make a couple of them with my next order instead.

Kurt, I have several, depending on what type you want to brew. I have a recipe for a Duvel clone, which is simple and really good if you are interested in that, which uses the Wyeast 1388 Belgian Strong Ale.
BrewHound

Postby JimF » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:44 am

Jeremy,
I'm interested in contributing to the Yeast Bank. Here is what I have on hand right now:

Wyeast 3787 Trappist
Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale
Wyeast 1056 American Ale

I probably won't do anything this weekend due to Beer Camp, but might make a starter with the Trappist on Sunday afternoon (depending on how I feel...)
Jim Fuller
Bird In The Hand Brewery

Life is good, when the beer is too...
JimF

Postby BrewHound » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:16 am

Sounds good, just let me know, I think I could stop by and grab a sample on Sunday, Don't have either:

Wyeast 3787 Trappist
Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale
BrewHound

Postby brownbeard » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:46 am

I want to make sure I understand. When you say you want a sample before the starter. Do you want to be there when I open my smack pack? I would like to add to the bank, but I want to make sure I am doing it right.
You can't get with this with a bad hip - Matt
brownbeard

Postby BrewHound » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:56 pm

brownbeard wrote:I want to make sure I understand. When you say you want a sample before the starter. Do you want to be there when I open my smack pack? I would like to add to the bank, but I want to make sure I am doing it right.

Yes, that is what I am saying (this is the best time to culture the yeast), the white lab vials are much easier as they they can be closed again easily after opening. In this case leaving a small amount on the bottom of the vial and giving that to me is sufficient. However, with the smack packs that is not the case. You want to do this before the starter as it reduces the risk of contaimation as well as cellular mutation (generational increase) of the yeast. I could always give a person the supplies and instruct them on how to culture the same and they could do the culturing at the time of the opening as well.
BrewHound

Postby jjbuck » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:32 am

I have a Wyeast Abbey Ale smack packI'll donate. Do you want dry packets as well? I have some Windsor, Nottingham and a couple champange packets.
John Buck
Brother John's Brewing
The Monk at the Hartley Monastary
jjbuck

Postby brownbeard » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:22 am

I just ordered
Wyeast 3068: Weihenstephan Wheat
You can't get with this with a bad hip - Matt
brownbeard

Cider Yeast

Postby DrPaulsen » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:46 am

I will be making some cider next week and will be pitching Wyeast 4776.

If you want some for the bank, PM me and I'll let you know when to stop by and take a swab. Or talk to me tonight about what steps are required to culture it and I can take care of it.

Thanks,
Lee
DrPaulsen

Postby daveR » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:50 am

I'm brewing on Sunday with Wyeast 3191 Berliner Weisse blend if you want that as well.
daveR

Next

Return to Tech Corner