YEAST BANK

Brewing techniques -- how to brew, beginner to advanced, ask it here.

YEAST BANK

Postby Mr T » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:06 am

Lee, where did you get your cider from, or planning on getting it from?

Sent: Thursday, September 16, 2010 8:47 AM
To: brew-tech@crbeernuts.org
Subject: Re: YEAST BANK

I will be making some cider next week and will be pitching Wyeast 4776.

If you want some for the bank, PM me and I'll let you know when to stop by and take a swab. Or talk to me tonight about what steps are required to culture it and I can take care of it.

Thanks,
Lee

Post generated using Mail2Forum (http://www.mail2forum.com)
Travis (big T)
X-Prez Nut
Mr T

Re: YEAST BANK

Postby DrPaulsen » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:31 am

Mr T wrote:Lee, where did you get your cider from, or planning on getting it from?

I am pressing it myself.

The apples are from a friend's farm out on Otis Rd. By this time next year, that should be my farm (assuming I can find someone to buy my house) and I'll have tons of apples for cider. If it all works out (and I can get clearance from the wife), I was thinking of having a cider-making party next year where everyone brings a carboy that wants some. I have no idea what else I'm going to do with the apples from 75+ trees.
DrPaulsen

YEAST BANK

Postby Mr T » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:39 am

Nice, I’m a cider fiend, we had a previous member that moved to loo and bought property with lots of trees. Haven’t seen it yet, but think he does a little cider as well. Maybe he’ll even chime in on this post.

If your heading to the grout fest, he will probably be there with the CF club.

Sent: Thursday, September 16, 2010 10:31 AM
To: brew-tech@crbeernuts.org
Subject: Re: YEAST BANK

Mr T wrote:
Lee, where did you get your cider from, or planning on getting it from?

I am pressing it myself.

The apples are from a friend's farm out on Otis Rd. By this time next year, that should be my farm (assuming I can find someone to buy my house) and I'll have tons of apples for cider. If it all works out (and I can get clearance from the wife), I was thinking of having a cider-making party next year where everyone brings a carboy that wants some. I have no idea what else I'm going to do with the apples from 75+ trees.

Post generated using Mail2Forum (http://www.mail2forum.com)
Travis (big T)
X-Prez Nut
Mr T

Postby tony b » Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:01 pm

Just placed an order with NB and am getting Wyeast 1762 (Belgian Abbey II), which is one on your "wish list." Will give you a shout when I get ready to pitch it.
A Mighty Wind's A Brewing

“Life is short - break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile” ― Mae West
tony b

Postby BrewHound » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:31 am

tony b wrote:Just placed an order with NB and am getting Wyeast 1762 (Belgian Abbey II), which is one on your "wish list." Will give you a shout when I get ready to pitch it.

Thanks Tony
BrewHound

Postby jjbuck » Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:40 pm

I have top-cropped Wyeast 3787 Trappist High Gravity. I know you wanted right out of the smack pack but if you want some this you are welcome to it.
Brother John Brewing
The Monk at the Hartley Monastary
jjbuck

Postby kjball » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:25 pm

I'm getting the following white labs strains this week, will be using them this weekend. Let me know if you want me to save the tubes:

WLP380 Hefeweizen IV
WLP810 San Francisco Lager
WLP036 Dusseldorf Alt
WLP830 German Lager

I won't have them open by meeting time, but could get them to you sometime next week if you want them.
kjball

Postby kjball » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:35 pm

CJ I have White Labs. Saison I. It is supposedly the Dupont strain Are you still collecting tubes?
kjball

Postby BrewHound » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:37 pm

yes, I need to make some more plates, when do you think you will be available to get this to me?
BrewHound

Postby kjball » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:23 am

CJ, I will have the White labs Saison I and Belgian Wit tubes for you tomorrow, assuming you're not in the hospital. Would I be able to make a withdrawal from the bank. (insert joke here) I need a Weizen strain for the imperial i want to make.
kjball

Postby DeanRIowa » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:59 am

Is your yeast bank still going?

How would someone harvest the yeast for a donations to your yeast bank?

Just wondering from the new guy.

Dean
DeanRIowa

Postby BrewHound » Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:56 pm

Yes, I had a little problem when I got my new fridge in my basement, I accidently put the samples in the freezer. I know, bone head thing to do, i had been drinking at the time.

But I have restarted the bank and have a couple of samples in there, if you want to contribute something, the easiest way is, well that depends on the source.

If it is a white labes vial just reseal the vial and give that to me and I will culture and plate it. If it is a wYeast pack then you need to trasfer it to a sealable (baby food jar or such) container that is santized and give that to me. I can always keep either a white labs vial or container and return to you if you wish to have them back.
BrewHound

Postby Bones » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:54 am

Transferring good to my new fridge, I have some small 8-10oz containers if anyone is interested.

4 - WLP500 Trappist High Gravity Yeast
4 - WLP023 Burton Ale Yeast Yeast
Chris
Bones

Previous

Return to Tech Corner