DIY Keg and Carboy Washer

Monthly tech meetings

Re: DIY Keg and Carboy Washer

Postby Matt F » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:13 pm

Nothing in my boil kettle so I just rinse and give a quick scrub. I throw some starsan or pbw in if getting ready to dump it down the drain.
Matt Franklin
Slappy Brewing North

On Tap:
Saison
Matt Damon in my Mouth
Tree House Julius Clone

Fermenting:
Belgian Dubbel/Sour
Matt F

Postby tony b » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:53 am

andrewmaixner wrote:
bf514921 wrote:could this be adapted to clean a boil kettle?

This makes quick work of large kettles. You can scrub quickly in a circle:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Munchkin-Bri ... n/48573863

That thing on the right looks more like a sex toy than something to clean with! :lol:
A Mighty Wind's A Brewing

“Life is short - break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile” ― Mae West
tony b

Postby carrisr » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:19 pm

Ha! I was going to ask you Tony if you were thinking that!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Randy Carris
Robotic Brewer
Randy All the Time Brewing
carrisr
Site Admin

Postby tony b » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:35 pm

Obviously you were thinking the same thing, too! :lol:

“Life is short - break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile” ― Mae West
tony b

Postby daryl » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:15 pm

The estimated cost to build the Carboy Washer is about $30.

You will need to provide a pump, a bucket, and the lid (as per the instructions provided in the initial post).

Depending upon what pump you select, you will need to make a minor modification to attach this to your pump. That might mean a trip to Home Depot to buy the proper adapter from the Plumbing Section (just take your pump and the washer attachment with you, and the folks in the Plumbing Dept will have you set up in no time).

I think I can modify the design such that we can use the same barb that feed the corny keg QD males to feed a tube that you can attach to your keg lines....again you might need to invest in a male MFL (or a female MFL with a male/male barrel fitting) in order to attach it to your beer lines.

Caution, those utility pumps have a pretty high flow rate....be careful when using them to push Beer Line Cleaner through your lines. You do not want to have a failure such that something pops off and sprays this stuff all over the place....it is highly caustic.

OK, so, if you are wanting to have the parts for one of these units.....please bring $30 to this Thursday's Club Meeting, and we will get these kits assembled with a week or two after Thanksgiving.

Any adjustments in cost will be a buck or two at best...and can be refunded/collected when you pick up your kit.

PM me or post here if you have any questions.

I'll see if I can post the Bill of Materials on here later tonight, so that you can see the individual costs and you guys can help me check my math.
In the Fridge/On Tap: Salted Caramel Porter
In the barrel/conditioning:
In the bucket: P-nut Brittle Ale, Blueberry and Blk Rasp. Mead; Tangerine Wheat; Spont. Funk; Swarthy Beagle
In the queue: Pils Urquell Clone, American Wheat
daryl

Postby tony b » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:49 pm

Daryl, are we building these together at some location, or is the plan to just distribute the parts and folks take them home and build it there?

tony b

Postby daryl » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:00 pm

At a minimum, I will get the parts and cut the pipe to length.

Let's see how many kits we have....if it is not too many (a dozen or so), I can cement the pieces that need cementing....and then the remainder of the assembly would be what folks would do for maintenance or converting to a beerline cleaner.

Once the pieces are cut, it would not take an hour to cement a dozen kits together....I have the tools and the cement/primer.

Owners will need to tweak a few things....especially the length of the top pipe; it might need to be shortened if you are using a utility pump (versus a shorter/smaller pond/fountain pump).

But I will bring a cutter and cement with me when we do the distribution to help with those adjustments - and could cement whatever adapter you need for your spinner/sprayer.
In the bucket: P-nut Brittle Ale, Blueberry and Blk Rasp. Mead; Tangerine Wheat; Spont. Funk; Swarthy Beagle
daryl

Postby tony b » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:43 pm

Cool. I like that plan.

tony b

Postby daryl » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:47 pm

No keg washer left behind, man!
daryl

Postby daryl » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:33 am

PRICE UPDATE....looked through the costs again....looks like $28.

So, on Thursday, $28 if you have exact change or a check made out to me (Daryl McCall)....otherwise $30 and I'll drop $2 in your kit.

Would like to get all of the cash gathered up, get the materials, and plan on getting them into your hands the first or second week of December.
daryl

Previous

Return to Tech Meetings