smoking woods

Smoking and Grilling

smoking woods

Postby hoboscratch » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:14 am

Funny that this subforum just popped up. I was just thinking that we could probably use one.

I am normally a hickory and apple wood kind of guy, but I decided to try something new, so I bought some pecan and cherry wood last time I was shopping. Has anyone used these before? From reading I've learned that pecan is a milder hickory, with some nuttiness, and the cherry is similar to apple but can turn your meat a reddish hue. I'm looking forward to doing some cherry smoked baby backs soon, and I'll probably use the pecan on a brisket in the near future.
hoboscratch

Postby Steven P » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:33 am

I haven't yet used Pecan but I have some of the pellets I picked up at the Grill Store in Marion. I'm saving these for the next time I make Andouille sausages as it's the traditional smoke for them.

Cherry has a nice mild smoke flavor similar to apple or pear wood. If you get a cherry rub that may have a color effect I suppose, but the cherry wood smoke doesn't make any difference I can discern.

Hit up http://www.thesmokering.com/ and search for Cherry Rub, you'll get dozens of results.
Cedar Rapids Beer Nuts Secretary

"Milk does a body good my ass. Beer is the healthier choice and hops are a wonderful medicine."
MattF
Steven P

Postby hoboscratch » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:13 am

I hadn't considered a cherry rub before. I will look into it for sure. I think that coupled with some spice would make a pretty terrific rub.
hoboscratch

Postby tony b » Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:43 pm

I've used a number of different woods over the years and generally keep a variety on hand. Use both pecan wood and shells in the past, as well as Cherry. Peach is nice, too, but very mild. Alder is a go to for cold smoking salmon. Grape vines are nice and you can get chunks of bourbon barrel as well.

Several of us have been talking about a road trip to HawgEyes BBQ (good source for smoking woods) in Ankeny with a side trip to El Bait Shop for lunch. Check them out at http://www.hawgeyesbbq.com
A Mighty Wind's A Brewing

“Life is short - break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile” ― Mae West
tony b

Postby Steven P » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:29 am

They are the only online source I've found for Blues Hog BBQ sauces too.

"Milk does a body good my ass. Beer is the healthier choice and hops are a wonderful medicine."
MattF
Steven P

Postby brownbeard » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:57 am

I use almost exclusively hickory. The exception is where I am doing something really mild, like fish, or pork loin. For salmon, I go with alder, and for pork loin, I go apple. I don't change it up a lot. I am not really looking to try new things in my BBQ. I am trying to perfect what I do well.
You can't get with this with a bad hip - Matt
brownbeard

Postby hoboscratch » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:39 am

I hear ya, Tim. I've been very happy with using hickory and apple. I usually mix the two for pork and I am a big fan. I'm going to change it up a bit and see how it comes out. Matter of fact, I'm going to do some ribs this weekend...
hoboscratch

Postby hoboscratch » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:44 am

tony b wrote:Several of us have been talking about a road trip to HawgEyes BBQ (good source for smoking woods) in Ankeny with a side trip to El Bait Shop for lunch. Check them out at http://www.hawgeyesbbq.com

Looks like they have a big sauce selection. Do they have any out for sampling or are you buying blind?
hoboscratch

Postby tony b » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:37 am

I don't recall them sampling there. But blind can be fun sometimes. You can generally get an idea from the ingredients list.
A Mighty Wind's A Brewing

“Life is short - break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile” ― Mae West
tony b

Postby hoboscratch » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:45 am

That's cool. Was just curious. I rarely use sauce anyway, except for pulled meats.
hoboscratch

Postby hoboscratch » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:01 pm

Doing some baby backs with a pecan/cherry mix. When I opened the bag of pecan I was very impressed by the smell. Definitely a nuttiness to it. I'm anxious to taste these pigs...
hoboscratch

Postby Steven P » Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:47 pm

I used pecan pellets yesterday for ribs. They burn really quickly and I don't think I'll use them again.

MattF
Steven P

Postby hoboscratch » Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:52 pm

I used chunks. They burned fine as far as I can tell. I did wings while I was waiting for the ribs. I really liked the flavor from this combination but I'd have to do em again to see if it's something I'll stick with or just a change of pace mix.
hoboscratch

smoking woods

Postby hoboscratch » Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:54 pm

Oh yeah meant to ask, do you have a particular type of smoker that uses pellets? Or are they used like chips?

On Jun 10, 2012, at 6:47 PM, Steven P <bbq@crbeernuts.org (bbq@crbeernuts.org)> wrote:

I used pecan pellets yesterday for ribs. They burn really quickly and I don't think I'll use them again.

"I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer."
-Abraham Lincoln

http://endofthewoad.blogspot.com/

Post generated using Mail2Forum (http://www.mail2forum.com)
hoboscratch

Postby Steven P » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:45 am

I believe they are meant to be used like chips. As far as I can see they are best used by putting them in a foil pouch with a hole poked in it.
Indirect heat would work better but my gas smoker puts a lot of heat right on to the firebox where the chips/chunks are supposed to go. The pellets can't take the heat and just burn too fast.

Chips work just fine now. Maybe I'll use the rest of the pecan on my grill instead.

MattF
Steven P

Next

Return to BBQ