Combo Smokers + propane

Smoking and Grilling

Combo Smokers + propane

Postby czubak » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:37 am

Any of these out on the market worth a damn? Was in KC this past weekend and found several grills with a combination of a propane grill, charcoal grill and a smoke box. I currently only have a Weber dome charcoal that I really like, but sometimes cooling for 1 person it's too time consuming and I just want propane to fire up and get cooking.

So I got to thinking, if I am going to buy a propane grill, but also want to dip my toes in the smoking world, why not look into a 3 in 1 unit? Before thinking about a propane I was eyeballing an electric pellet smoker.
Chris Zubak
czubak

Re: Combo Smokers + propane

Postby tony b » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:21 am

As with anything, a lot depends on your budget - you get what you pay for. Cheaper ones are made from uninsulated thin metal - lots of heat loss and the lids don't sealed very well either - so you will lose a lot of smoke. Just means that they aren't efficient - you'll burn more fuel and smoking wood to do the job. Probably limited lifetime, too, as they tend to rust out in a couple of years.

Since you already have a Weber, consider adding on a Smokenator box to do your low & slow smoking and pick up a decent separate gas grill for your quick cooks, rather than a 3-n-1 unit.

https://www.amazon.com/Smokenator-1000-Transform-Weber-Kettle/dp/B000HI3I68

Or for a few more bucks, the Slow 'n Sear.

https://smile.amazon.com/Adrenaline-Barbecue-Company-SNS1000-Slow/dp/B014O9YB6G

I've never owned a gas grill, so I'm not a good source for what's good out there.

Have several friends that have electric pellet smokers, who all like them a lot. Several good companies to choose from and they all do a very nice job and are simple to operate.
A Mighty Wind's A Brewing

“Life is short - break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile” ― Mae West
tony b

Postby czubak » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:41 am

Thanks Tony, most every gas grill is garbage and why I have not bought one yet and left the 2 year old propane with the ex. I hated it more often than not.

One big plus for propane is I sous vide a fair amount and it works great for a quick searing. Probably money ahead just buying some used one off CL, junk it as needed.
Chris Zubak
czubak

Postby tony b » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:18 pm

If you just need it for the quick sear after sous vide, consider that Slow & Sear for your Weber - kill 2 birds with one stone and will be a lot cheaper than a gasser, for sure.
A Mighty Wind's A Brewing

“Life is short - break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile” ― Mae West
tony b

Postby fargo41 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:25 pm

Another option for searing after sous vide is to use a handheld torch and a cast iron pan just sitting on your stove.
Craig
fargo41

Postby czubak » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:31 pm

fargo41 wrote:Another option for searing after sous vide is to use a handheld torch and a cast iron pan just sitting on your stove.

That's what I do now Craig and it works fine as well. Engineers....we tend to overthink things :lol:
Chris Zubak
czubak

Postby fargo41 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:05 pm

czubak wrote:That's what I do now Craig and it works fine as well. Engineers....we tend to overthink things :lol:

What!? never ;)
Craig
fargo41

Postby whitedj » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:28 pm

Thought of a pellet grill?

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
The guy who submitted a barley wine in the Furious competition...
whitedj

Postby daryl » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:40 pm

czubak wrote: Engineers....we tend to overthink things :lol:

GUILTY!! :roll:
In the Fridge/On Tap: Salted Caramel Porter
In the barrel/conditioning:
In the bucket: P-nut Brittle Ale, Blueberry and Blk Rasp. Mead; Tangerine Wheat; Spont. Funk; Swarthy Beagle
In the queue: Pils Urquell Clone, American Wheat
daryl

Postby czubak » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:42 pm

whitedj wrote:Thought of a pellet grill?

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Nope, mainly because charcoal can be had so dang cheap when Lowes has their sale.
Chris Zubak
czubak

Return to BBQ