RyePA/RyeIPA recipe advice

Share your recipes, or ask for advice

RyePA/RyeIPA recipe advice

Postby andrewmaixner » Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:25 pm

(yes, I did read the RYE thread just below this one)

going to try a partial mash BIAB Rye PA/IPA because I have a bunch of stuff on hand to use up that seems to fit the bill. Looking for any obvious "don't do it that way" advice, or anything I should add in like some melanoidon, biscuit, munich, etc.

partial Mash: (what mash temp -- low due to unknown potential fermentability of the LME?)
1 lbs Rye, Flaked (2.0 SRM) Grain
3 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain

1.0 oz Simcoe [13.0%] - Boil 20 min Hops
6 lbs Pilsner Liquid Extract [Boil for 5 min] (3.5 SRM) Grain
1.0 oz Simcoe [13.0%] - Steep 20 min Hops
1.0 oz Simcoe [13.0%] - Steep 20 min Hops
1.0 oz Centennial [10.0%] - Steep 20 min Hops

1 pkgs Irish Ale Yeast (White Labs #WLP004) or US-05?

1.0 oz Simcoe [13.0%] - Dry Hop 4 days Hops
1.0 oz Amarillo [8.5%] - Dry Hop 4 days Hops
andrewmaixner

Re: RyePA/RyeIPA recipe advice

Postby UndeadFred » Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:58 pm

Hmm.. maybe I'm wrong here, but I find LME in partial mashes to ferment like it's a lower end mash.. Anyway, assuming your LME is Briess.. and it's not really old...

http://www.brewingwithbriess.com/Assets ... ghtLME.pdf

"Higher Saccharides" are 19% of the content, and I'd guess that is your "mouthfeel" sugars.. so maybe you are right.. in an IPA you'd probably want to go drier, so low or middle of the range... 99% Pilsen 1% Carapils to give you an idea of the equivalent.. 76% fermentability... So there you go...

I always buy a few of those Northern Brewer Columbus day specials for a quick and dirty brew day, and I've gone the other way by upping the gravity by doing the partial mash in those kits. Most of them are darker beers, though so the medium to high mashes seem to work. This year it was very obvious they were getting rid of old stock in the kits tho.. so I used them up fast....

The sad thing because of those $17 kits, I've not done a full AG in about 2.5 months... oh well..

Fred
UndeadFred

Return to Recipes