Groennfell Nordic Farmhouse clone (hydromel?)

Share your recipes, or ask for advice

Groennfell Nordic Farmhouse clone (hydromel?)

Postby jjpeanasky » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:21 pm

So here's a weird one for you guys. I just started a batch of the Groennfell Nordic Farmhouse (http://www.groennfell.com/recipes/nordic-farmhouse). I mixed everything together as listed, put my campden in, and it sat for 36hrs before I took SG and pitched my starter.

OG was 1.020? What the hell? I used 5lb (half gallon) + 8oz of honey, along with a half gallon of cranberry juice. Diluted to 5.5gal. Am I delusional?

- Josh Peanasky
jjpeanasky

Re: Groennfell Nordic Farmhouse clone (hydromel?)

Postby karl » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:34 pm

Yes. Or drunk.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
karl

Postby karl » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:36 pm

Seriously, the math doesn't work out for that. Hydrometer or refractometer?

karl

Postby whitedj » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:50 pm

Infection?
The guy who submitted a barley wine in the Furious competition...
whitedj

Postby jjpeanasky » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:32 pm

Hydrometer.

Was dosed with 4 campden tablets right after initial mixing, then 36 hr "wait" period, so hopefully not an infection.

Could it be that the honey settled out during those 36 hours and I just pulled a poorly mixed sample?
jjpeanasky

Postby daryl » Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:23 am

How did you store this while you waited to pitch the starter? Note: the addition of yeast was optional, so the expectation is that spontaneous fermentation would occur.

Did you have this under an airlock? And if so, did you see any activity?

How does it look?

How does it taste?

I have a mead that I cannot coax below 1.020, with the addition of yeast or yeast energizer...and I used yeast nutrient at the beginning, but it tastes good. So I've stopped messing with it and think it will be ok.

Drink whatever you pull off to measure SG; ....if it tastes good now, it should turn out just fine.
In the Fridge/On Tap: Salted Caramel Porter
In the barrel/conditioning:
In the bucket: P-nut Brittle Ale, Blueberry and Blk Rasp. Mead; Tangerine Wheat; Spont. Funk; Swarthy Beagle
In the queue: Pils Urquell Clone, American Wheat
daryl

Postby jjpeanasky » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:29 am

Must was in a carboy with airlock during the campden treatment. 1.020 was the original gravity. I pitched the yeast last night, so we'll see what activity comes from that.

I'm starting to think it was a case of poor mixing since I grabbed the gravity sample from the top.

- Josh Peanasky
jjpeanasky

Postby karl » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:58 am

That sounds like the most likely explanation. If something had managed to munch that many points of gravity in only 36 hours I'm sure you would have seen activity.

Since the settled layer will likely be a high enough sugar concentration to be hydroscopic, it would be good to remix the must.

karl

Postby wyzzyrdd » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:19 pm

jjpeanasky wrote:So here's a weird one for you guys. I just started a batch of the Groennfell Nordic Farmhouse (http://www.groennfell.com/recipes/nordic-farmhouse). I mixed everything together as listed, put my campden in, and it sat for 36hrs before I took SG and pitched my starter.

OG was 1.020? What the hell? I used 5lb (half gallon) + 8oz of honey, along with a half gallon of cranberry juice. Diluted to 5.5gal. Am I delusional?

- Josh Peanasky

Assuming 4.5 gallons of water, .5 gallons of juice, and .5 gallons honey -- Brix should be in the neighborhood of 11 degrees -- So OG should be around 1.044 plus or minus a few points.

You should stir vigorously before taking your SG.
Pat McCusker
wyzzyrdd

Return to Recipes