HERMS Coil

Discussions about brewing equipment / design.

HERMS Coil

Postby fargo41 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:07 pm

So this weekend I finally got around to putting together my HLT and made a HERMS coil from left over 1/2 OD soft copper. While working on final placement and I kinked the coil a couple of times. I bent it back and used a wrench to shape it as close to original as I could but I'm wondering if it is going to cause issues. I'm guessing my flow will be slightly reduced so I'll just have to take that into account when running it.

Thought? RDWHAB?

-Craig
Craig
fargo41

Re: HERMS Coil

Postby Matt F » Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:11 pm

Hard to say without seeing the crimps, but I am guessing you will be fine. I run mine with back pressure from a ball valve on the pump or sparge arm and don't run it wide open anyway.
Matt Franklin
Slappy Brewing North

On Tap:
Saison
Matt Damon in my Mouth
Liquid Weed NEIPA
Dubbel Bubble
Dark Sour
Matt F

Postby fargo41 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:28 pm

I was planning on doing the same for my pumping. I guess the only way to find out is to give it a try and see how it does keeping my wort at temp
Craig
fargo41

Postby czubak » Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:41 pm

I am really tempted to add a HERMS coil to my setup, but I want the temp to be controlled and preferably electric so for now it's on hold. I would love to sit in on a brew session with a HERMS setup to get me to justify it in the future.
Chris Zubak
czubak

Postby carrisr » Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:54 pm

A HERMS or RIMS is the next thing on my wish list. I'm looking for an on the cheap option. I like what Matt as done, especially the multi-use aspect of his coil. I'll probably do something similar. I hope to set up a test soon to see if I can get away with using my Anova to heat the HLT water. I'm hoping that with my small batches it will be enough heat to maintain a steady mash temp. Nothing is cheaper than the equipment you already own. I need to get a pump first though.
Randy Carris
Robotic Brewer
Randy All the Time Brewing
carrisr
Site Admin

Postby fargo41 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:17 pm

Yeah, I've been trying to upgrade my setup as cheaply as I can, buying stuff piece by piece and keeping an eye out for sales. http://www.brewhardware.com and http://www.bargainfittings.com/ are where I've gotten all my connections and pumps, Also watching http://www.homebrewfinds.com/ for deals helps, but can be dangerous for your wallet and defeat the purpose of doing it cheaply.

Randy BrewHardware has a pretty sweet RIMS kit.
Craig
fargo41

Postby Matt F » Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:25 pm

My wife has a Boundary Waters trip in August and I am thinking of doing an open brew session for folks. I will post something in Member's Only with more details. Basically revolves around when I can get one of the parental units to take my kids overnight. You could see my Electric HERMS in action.
Matt Franklin
Slappy Brewing North

On Tap:
Saison
Matt Damon in my Mouth
Liquid Weed NEIPA
Dubbel Bubble
Dark Sour
Matt F

Postby Steven P » Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:11 pm

I would love to use anova like Potts did for a sour mash
Cedar Rapids Beer Nuts Secretary

"Milk does a body good my ass. Beer is the healthier choice and hops are a wonderful medicine."
MattF
Steven P

Postby czubak » Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:13 pm

I don't have access to the members only section. Do I need a hip jacket or something? :lol:
Chris Zubak
czubak

Postby fargo41 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:16 pm

PM JImPotts for access.
Craig
fargo41

Postby carrisr » Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:25 pm

Make sure you have your real name in your profile so we can match you up.
Randy Carris
Robotic Brewer
carrisr
Site Admin

Postby Steven P » Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:34 pm

Just added you to members
Cedar Rapids Beer Nuts Secretary

"Milk does a body good my ass. Beer is the healthier choice and hops are a wonderful medicine."
MattF
Steven P

Postby JimF » Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:43 pm

carrisr wrote:A HERMS or RIMS is the next thing on my wish list. I'm looking for an on the cheap option. I like what Matt as done, especially the multi-use aspect of his coil. I'll probably do something similar. I hope to set up a test soon to see if I can get away with using my Anova to heat the HLT water. I'm hoping that with my small batches it will be enough heat to maintain a steady mash temp. Nothing is cheaper than the equipment you already own. I need to get a pump first though.

Check out http://www.homebrewfinds.com/2014/06/st ... =gplus&m=1 Center inlet stainless chugger pump from Adventures in Homebrewing. Check your NHC swag bag, they might have a discount to add to the sale price...

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
Jim Fuller
Bird In The Hand Brewery

Life is good, when the beer is too...
JimF

Postby carrisr » Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:57 pm

Yeah, I saw that. I ordered from farmhouse as they had 7% off today so it ended up a bit less. The center option would require a reduction as one of the ports is 3/4“.
Randy Carris
Robotic Brewer
carrisr
Site Admin

Postby czubak » Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:46 am

carrisr wrote:Yeah, I saw that. I ordered from farmhouse as they had 7% off today so it ended up a bit less. The center option would require a reduction as one of the ports is 3/4“.

I think I have a couple stainless 3/4 to 1/2 reducers if needed.
Chris Zubak
czubak

Next

Return to Equipment