Looking into a new MT

Discussions about brewing equipment / design.

Looking into a new MT

Postby czubak » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:53 am

So I run 3 keggles, I really like them...until it's time to clean out the MT. It's heavy, bulky, the lip makes it hard to simply dump it (even after I scoop out most of the grains) and on top of that I busted open my thumb right at the knuckle removing the tube from the auto sparge making for a PITA end of the brew day to clean thing up.

Mine has all the goodies, Jaybird two piece false bottom and 3 piece valves, etc. If I could reuse the false bottom this decision would be a lot easier on my wallet. Find a kettle with an ID that matched the diameter of my false bottom and have a couple legs attached to support it on the edges and be on my way. I don't think or know if that will work.

Near future plans are a temp controlled HERMs so I don't really care how well it's insulated or adding Refletix (which I have, but haven't installed on my keggle yet)

So I am looking, but not yet sold on buying a new kettle. I looked at the Blichman G2 at Joe's yesterday and while I really like it, I am unsure about the valve configuration working for my needs. Obviously it's a lot of cheddar to boot. Spike is releasing new kettles this week, old ones will be on clearance, quality seems hit or miss with them. Polarware seems popular, but I have not looked into them in detail yet. Hell I have even considered going back to a cooler :shock:. Lastly I will first off find some food grade tubing, split it and apply it to the rough edges on the keggles and save my $$ for more important items like NG, water, electric upgrades to the garage over the winter.
Chris Zubak
czubak

Re: Looking into a new MT

Postby DrPaulsen » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:41 am

Have you considered installing a bottom drain on your MLT? I have one and never have to pick up the keg. I scoop out the spent grains and rinse the rest down the drain.
DrPaulsen

Postby czubak » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:06 am

I have considered it and may go that route also once my HLT is automated and I don't need the burner anymore. Who sells the fittings you used? I'll do some searching.
Chris Zubak
czubak

Postby Matt F » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:52 am

if your rough edges on your keggle cause issue sand them down so they are smooth to touch. I used an air powered sand wheel on all my edges and they are super smooth. You can run your finger along any edge with no issues.
Matt Franklin
Slappy Brewing North

On Tap:
Saison
Matt Damon in my Mouth
Liquid Weed NEIPA
Dubbel Bubble
Dark Sour
Matt F

Postby czubak » Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:47 pm

They aren't that rough, it was the inertia from the tube popping off that made the bloody carnage on my hand. :evil: Keg 1 hand 0

Not really wanting to file or grind them smooth, then clean the heck out of everything several times. I will try the split tubing for starters and go bottom drain once I have the HERMs setup in operation.
Chris Zubak
czubak

Postby DrPaulsen » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:08 pm

I bought my fittings from Bargain Fittings or some similar place. I had to buy the 8" pipe nipple from McMaster Carr. Good point about the burner - no good way to have a burner and a bottom drain.
DrPaulsen

Postby Matt F » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:30 pm

On a sort of related note, found something that may work to extend the auto sparge tube. Slipped some of my 1/2" ID tubing over the end of the autosparge tubing and it fits. May try it out the next time it seems too short.
Matt Franklin
Slappy Brewing North

On Tap:
Saison
Matt Damon in my Mouth
Liquid Weed NEIPA
Dubbel Bubble
Dark Sour
Matt F

Postby czubak » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:29 am

Yeah it's too short where mine is mounted on my keg for 5 gallon batches. For a 10 it would be great. Shocked it's so hard to source 3/8" ID silicone tubing.

Side note, I only plant to split some tubing for the MT, the others I am never reaching inside. Does it need to be food grade or can it just be some tube by the foot from ACE?
Chris Zubak
czubak

Postby Matt F » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:32 am

Not sure what kind of tubing is OK. I only trust food grade since it sits in there so long at a hot temperature. Joe has silicone tubing at BIY. He has both 1/2" and 3/8" ID tubing. It is a thicker wall for a larger OD then the tubing that comes with the Blichmann. You can get the 3/8" tubing from BIY and it would work where you take a length of tubing and rest it on top of the mash like you use too. Only downside of the larger OD tubing is you cannot use the little stainless floating ball that comes with it which I don't think is a big deal.
Matt Franklin
Slappy Brewing North

On Tap:
Saison
Matt Damon in my Mouth
Liquid Weed NEIPA
Dubbel Bubble
Dark Sour
Matt F

Postby czubak » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:54 am

Matt F wrote:Not sure what kind of tubing is OK. I only trust food grade since it sits in there so long at a hot temperature. Joe has silicone tubing at BIY. He has both 1/2" and 3/8" ID tubing. It is a thicker wall for a larger OD then the tubing that comes with the Blichmann. You can get the 3/8" tubing from BIY and it would work where you take a length of tubing and rest it on top of the mash like you use too. Only downside of the larger OD tubing is you cannot use the little stainless floating ball that comes with it which I don't think is a big deal.

I am not changing the tubing on the auto sparge. I may try to add some length with some 1/2" ID tubing like you said earlier.

The food grade or not food grade tubing I was referring to is for the edge of the keggle where the top was cut off. No contact with wort, but will still get it's fair share of heat/steam. I have a fair amount of 1/2" silicone tubing, I am just treating it like gold for some reason. :lol:
Chris Zubak
czubak

Return to Equipment