WTB Burner and a pot

Discussions about brewing equipment / design.

WTB Burner and a pot

Postby czubak » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:17 am

I sold my entire single tier setup for a price I couldn't say no to. It's on it's way to Alaska in a month or so. Taking a step back from spending $$ on this hobby and going to get a cooler MT from a friend, but I need to get a burner and a kettle.

5 gallon batches are all I care to mess with anymore a 10 gallon kettle is perfect.

This seems popular, Just need to add a valve. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FNLTCU/ref ... 4Y5HLAJGB5

The MegaPots from NB seem of good quality also and I like the shape better than the ones that are really short and wide like above. I will source my own fittings from bargain fittings.

For a burner, I could get another loud turkey fryer unit for $45. Biggest thing I want is for it to work outside better than burners I have used in the past. Are the Blichmann or Edelmetall from NB worth the extra $$? Only a $10 diff between the two, so I would lean towards the Blichmann. They certainly look and spec out the same.
Chris Zubak
czubak

Re: WTB Burner and a pot

Postby tony b » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:16 am

Got the MegaPot 2.0 not too long ago and like it. Mine has the built-in valve and thermometer. Have had a small issue with a tiny leak at the thermometer. I just have to remember to tighten it up before I heat it up. Hoping after a few boils, it will seal up better.

Have the Blichmann burner sitting on the floor right now waiting for the brew room construction to finish (most of the plumbing is roughed in, including the floor drain and sump). Main reason I went with the Blichmann was so I could convert it to natural gas. Reviews that I've read say it's comparatively quite to most burners, which is important seeing as it will be indoors.
A Mighty Wind's A Brewing

“Life is short - break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile” ― Mae West
tony b

Postby JimF » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:41 am

I have Blichmann burners that I use in my garage with the door open. I've never had any issues with them. I like that they are relatively quiet.
Jim Fuller
Bird In The Hand Brewery

Life is good, when the beer is too...
JimF

Postby czubak » Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:11 pm

I know they are quiet, I have them on my brew stand now (just the bare burner, not blichmann itself. I really like them over the smaller "jet" burners I have had in the past that are noisy as heck. Only issue I have is even with windscreens I am unable to brew outside, the wind just kills the efficiency of my setup. In the garage it's aces. I'd like to brew on my patio, driveway, etc rather than in my garage when weather permits.

Good to hear on the megapot Tony, hope the leak fixes itself over time. I have all weldless fittings now and never had any issues and will continue to use weldless this time around.
Chris Zubak
czubak

Postby JimF » Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:24 pm

I saw a demo by John Blichmann brewing outside at NHC in San Diego on a Top Tier. He didn't have any problems with the wind.
Jim Fuller
Bird In The Hand Brewery

Life is good, when the beer is too...
JimF

Postby Matt F » Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:45 pm

My Hurricane is really quiet. It looks like the Banjo and Blichmann. Been running it on natural gas in the basement for a long time with no issues.
Matt Franklin
Slappy Brewing North

On Tap:
Saison
Matt Damon in my Mouth
Liquid Weed NEIPA
Dubbel Bubble
Dark Sour
Matt F

Postby czubak » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:37 pm

Yeah I have those now Matt and think I need to stick with them. Unsure if Bayou, Blichmann, etc are all too similar.

I'm going back to basic all grain with a cooler. I almost feel guilty for what I'm getting for my current setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chris Zubak
czubak

Postby czubak » Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:23 pm

50% deposit arrived today. Now to decide to get a 10 or 15 gallon pot. Do I want the ability to still do a 10 gallon batch and still be able to do a 5 gallon batch? Maybe just get a keggle again. Or do I want 2 burners, 2 coolers and 2 8-10 gallon kettles to do 2 staggered 5 gallon brew days?

Chris Zubak
czubak

Postby andrewmaixner » Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:02 am

With the low end 15 gal SS pot and 70qt Coleman extreme mash cooler I assembled, I can do 10gal batches up to 1.060 with a infusion mashing, keeps it pretty easy and inexpensive. Just plan ahead with where they are so you don't have to dead lift a 140lb cooler :) I'm looking into a cheap block and tackle setup.
andrewmaixner

Postby czubak » Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:59 pm

Ordered a burner, 10gal pot and am getting a cooler from a friend already set up.

Back to simple and cheap. I will miss my pumps tho :)

Chris Zubak
czubak

Return to Equipment