uKeg Pressurized Growler

Discussions about brewing equipment / design.

uKeg Pressurized Growler

Postby Matt F » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:38 am

I want one. I assume the beverage out line is inside a brass accent and not in direct contact with the beer. Pretty cool product.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gr ... fresh-beer
Matt Franklin
Slappy Brewing North

On Tap:
Saison
Matt Damon in my Mouth
Liquid Weed NEIPA
Dubbel Bubble
Dark Sour
Matt F

Re: uKeg Pressurized Growler

Postby andrewmaixner » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:51 am

Interesting idea. Basically a self-contained, reusable, micro-keg and serving device.
andrewmaixner

Postby tony b » Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:40 am

Santa might have to pledge one for me! The copper ones look really cool!
A Mighty Wind's A Brewing

“Life is short - break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile” ― Mae West
tony b

Postby czubak » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:44 am

I don't get the draw for needing to keep pressure on a half gallon. Looks alone it's pretty bad ass though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chris Zubak
czubak

Postby Matt F » Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:17 pm

You could get the one gallon. :wink:

It is born in Portland. Home of a ton of breweries and even more hipsters that pick up growlers to go on their single speed bike on the way home from work or a tough day of shopping. Many of those great breweries are draft only. Keeps beer fresh much longer. It is cool looking.
Matt Franklin
Slappy Brewing North

On Tap:
Saison
Matt Damon in my Mouth
Liquid Weed NEIPA
Dubbel Bubble
Dark Sour
Matt F

Postby tony b » Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:35 am

Made my pledge through Kickstarter. Toyed with the copper one, but went for the regular version, with carrying bag.

It will be nice to go grab a growler at Lion Bridge (or elsewhere) and not feel compelled to drink it all in one sitting, so it doesn't go flat.

“Life is short - break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile” ― Mae West
tony b

Postby carrisr » Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:04 pm

Interesting. The sight gauge won't be useful if it's under pressure. Pressure gauge also seems of dubious use on the out line.
Randy Carris
Robotic Brewer
Randy All the Time Brewing
carrisr
Site Admin

Postby tony b » Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:28 pm

Sight glasses are used in pressurized applications all the time. I know it's hard to see in the pictures, but I'm betting that the sight glass is also ported into the gas region of the growler at the top - that bulky looking section just before it snakes up to the tap, to equalize the pressure. It's also an anchor point so you don't over stress the connection at the bottom when you pull on the tap handle.

The pressure gauge will be fairly accurate, as the static head of the beer won't be very much at all (~0.25 psig), so almost all of the indicated pressure will be from the gas pressure.

tony b

Postby JimPotts » Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:08 am

A late followup. In one of the comments, the producer explained: "Yes, beer or other beverages travel to the tap through an inner dispensing tube within the sight glass, while the sight glass has openings at both the top and the bottom that connect to the vessel."

I waffled on getting one, but I've already been backing enough other kickstarters for things that I don't really need.
JimPotts
Site Admin

Return to Equipment