Barrels

Discussions about brewing equipment / design.

Barrels

Postby fargo41 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:38 pm

So I have the chance to get a 30 gallon barrel for pretty cheap $40. It was a spirit barrel and was used to ferment a clean beer in once, I would be using it for sours anyway. It has been sitting empty for 2 month though.

Should I pass because 30 gallons is a lot to brew? I could fill it with 3 brew sessions. I'd ferment in the barrel rather than just secondary in it.
Has it been sitting too long?
Craig
fargo41

Re: Barrels

Postby tony b » Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:46 pm

Depends on where it was stored whether 2 months was enough to dry it out and shrink the staves. I'd ask to fill it with water first to see if it leaks before buying it.
A Mighty Wind's A Brewing

“Life is short - break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile” ― Mae West
tony b

Postby Matt F » Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:51 pm

If it leaks you can re-hydrate to see if it will swell and seal again. Mine was so dry when I first got it some light came through. I soaked it in a water bath and it sealed up. Question is what is inside afer being used for beer. For $40 bucks it may be worth a try. Up to you if you think 30 gallons is too much. Sounds like a nice solera barrel to me.
Matt Franklin
Slappy Brewing North

On Tap:
Saison
Matt Damon in my Mouth
Liquid Weed NEIPA
Dubbel Bubble
Dark Sour
Matt F

Postby fargo41 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:40 am

Oh Matt, now you have me thinking about it again. Since I wouldn't have to deal with 30 gallons on the back end, just however much I want to pull.
Craig
fargo41

Postby Matt F » Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:54 pm

:twisted:
Matt Franklin
Slappy Brewing North

On Tap:
Saison
Matt Damon in my Mouth
Liquid Weed NEIPA
Dubbel Bubble