Intertap

Discussions about brewing equipment / design.

Intertap

Postby UndeadFred » Wed May 25, 2016 2:18 pm

My curiosity got the best of me and I decided on an impulse to buy an Intertap faucet (from Keg King in Australia, but via AliExpress in China). It's a forward sealing "ultraflow" faucet, supposedly infringing on VentMatic.

These are the ones that Williams Brewing carried until the VentMatic patent troll threatened them. I wanted for the longest time to try a real VentMatic, but luckily by the time I was about to give in the reports of non-delivery and then the eventual disappearance (for the third time) of Vent-Matic company happened, so I got lucky in this respect.

Anyway for those curious, this is what I got 9 days later for $31.09 delivered.

Intertap1.jpg
Intertap1.jpg (52.55 KiB) Viewed 1254 times

Disassembled parts view.. click on the image if you only see the box to expand....

Intertap2.jpg
Intertap2.jpg (35 KiB) Viewed 1254 times

The design is indeed better than a Perl in my not-so-humble-opinion. The Build quality isn't as good especially internally. In fact the lever pull was "gritty-kitty" until I decided to wet sand the shuttle with some 1000-grit sandpaper and I used a little food grade grease on it. But, you know what, 30 seconds in doing that and it's quite acceptable now. The flow over the shuttle is much more laminar than the ball in the Perlick is and the pour is actually notably better on the Intertap. My feelings are mixed though. Side by side the Perlick and Intertap are pretty comparable. Mixing them on a Keezer is a bit of an issue, also, as the Perl has the handle back towards the keezer at about thirty degrees when closed and more-or-less straight up when opened. The Intertap is more like a rear seal faucet with the lever straight up when off and pulled forward when pouring. Which I give the edge to the Intertap because it's more like a traditional faucet and looks better.

The outside of the faucet on the Keezer for appearance hands down goes to the Intertap. It's very stylish compared to the Perlicks 525SS and 630PC's I have.

Intertap3.jpg
Intertap3.jpg (62.66 KiB) Viewed 1254 times

If the patent thing is settled here in the US and you don't have to AliExpress the faucets, I think they are a slight cheaper, better, solid alternative to the forward sealing Perlicks.

I decided to do another "WTF" and I ordered the automatic return spring, the Stout Spout (the spouts unscrew and Keg King plans on having several, including a English Sparkler and even a counter pressure filler), and the Growler fIller spout. $17.10 delivered. So in 10 days or so I'll post pictures of those if anyone is at all interested. I kinda sorta someday want to do beer gas, and for a Stout faucet in stainless this is likely the cheapest option.

Though I'm glad about the wort challenge. I brewed the pictured Stout on 12/28 and I got maybe five pulls through the Intertap before I kicked the keg.. so a "porter" will obviously be poured through the "stout spout" when it comes... ;) Right now I moved the still rather green Irish Red to the position one tap...

I'm now kicking around selling the 630PC and shank (when I finally replace the shank with stainless)... or maybe even one of the 525SS's (I upgraded the older one to the new lever handle and bearing cup which was an adventure in and of itself... don't buy parts from sellers on Amazon was the lesson to that story, and keep after the e-bay sellers... seriously.. that much trouble.. Rite-Brew didn't even have the right part for the lever, and I sent that back...) but I'm not quite ready to do that.. if there is interest in either, though.. let me know...

Fred
UndeadFred

Re: Intertap

Postby Matt F » Wed May 25, 2016 3:32 pm

Those look just like the first forward seal design from Perlick that I have five of. Four of them in this picture.
Attachments
tap handles.jpg
tap handles.jpg (109.27 KiB) Viewed 1244 times
Matt Franklin
Slappy Brewing North

On Tap:
Hopodile Dundee IPA (Conan)
Saison
Matt Damon in my Mouth
FYF Triple IPA

Up Next:
Dry-hopped Kettle Sour
Coffee Chocolate Latte Stout
Peanut Butter Cup Stout
Matt F

Postby jjpeanasky » Wed May 25, 2016 3:41 pm

Thanks for the write up. I've got a keezer that will soon be getting a collar and real faucets, and being new to kegging I wasn't even aware that there were more than just the fancy perlicks and the "economy" style you see everywhere.

Sent from the wild using Tapatalk
jjpeanasky

Postby UndeadFred » Wed May 25, 2016 6:21 pm

The Perlick 425SS were supposed to be very good but the former employee of Perlick who has the patent on the Ventmatic won the lawsuit. So the 525 and the 630 were the patent workaround. It would not surprise me in the least if the Intertap is more similar to the 425's since there are reported slight differences from the Intertap to the Ventmatic. The 425SS's are definitely a keeper, though.

Sent from my XT1526 using Tapatalk
UndeadFred

Postby UndeadFred » Wed May 25, 2016 6:22 pm

And by the way there is a flow control model of the Intertap that has been reported not to have the sulfur odor problem of the Perlick 650SS taps. There never was a flow control 425 nor a flow control Ventmatic.

UndeadFred

Postby czubak » Thu May 26, 2016 10:11 am

Ventmatic went tits up once again. I wanted some and glad I resisted since some got stiffed.
Chris Zubak
czubak

Postby Matt F » Thu May 26, 2016 3:10 pm

If cost is no object this is the best of the best. The Side Project tap room was built by the brewer and has three different pouring stations for different serving temps all with these really expensive taps. Suppose to be the cleanest and best in the industry. $140 each! :shock:

http://www.micromatic.com/draft-beer/fl ... 4933roto-v
Matt Franklin
Slappy Brewing North

On Tap:
Saison
Matt Damon in my Mouth
FYF Triple IPA

Up Next:
Dry-hopped Kettle Sour
Peanut Butter Cup Stout
Matt F

Postby UndeadFred » Thu May 26, 2016 6:34 pm

The CMB faucets V2G and V3S are supposed to be good too, but are pricey. What is nifty about those is that they have the creamer function built in, pull the lever half way, it is creamer, all the way is normal pour. But that is yet another option for stainless forward seal faucets. No personal experience with them.

UndeadFred

Postby UndeadFred » Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:32 pm

So, the patent issues are resolved and they are again available from William's Brewing.

Here is my personal take on them. I wish they were slightly less expensive than the Perlick 630's were since they are not quite as machined as nicely. However, the flow is better, the seal shuttle is a better design than the Perl, and I like the fact that the handles align properly like a rear sealing faucet.

Overtime I think I'm going to replace all of my Perls, but likely I'll do it one at a time.

The only complaints I've read is some have bonnet leaks. However, mine doesn't, not even close. I've had to fix and rebuild one of the 525SS's already and I hate to say the risk of using a forward seal is that the lever (bonnet) has to be under pressure and seal. I personally believe any forward seal faucet can have this issue.

I've wanted a flow control faucet for some time for my stouts (with a stout spout). The Perllick 650SS's have multiple reports of "sulfur smell" due to the machinable (reported to be 303) stainless in the flow control. The Intertap uses 304L in those pieces and had been determined to be free of that issue.

https://www.williamsbrewing.com/INTERTA ... -C340.aspx

So if anyone is interested in the now not apparent-- but factual-- heir to the VentMatic throne, you can buy it legally without smuggling it in anymore.
UndeadFred

Postby Matt F » Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:22 pm

The growler adapter is cool. I would be curious if that spout would fit my old 425s.
Matt Franklin
Slappy Brewing North

On Tap:
Saison
Matt Damon in my Mouth
FYF Triple IPA

Up Next:
Dry-hopped Kettle Sour
Peanut Butter Cup Stout
Matt F

Postby UndeadFred » Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:49 pm

I highly doubt it, Matt. My pictures are not quite as clear as some others I've seen on the internet, I am sorry.. but the box lists the spout as being 3/8-19 BSP (British Standard Taper) thread... I doubt if Perlick would have used that or even 3/8-19 NPT. Sorry Man.

Here is a better picture of the box: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost.ph ... tcount=408

I'm mulling a splurge and a flow control for my stouts.. maybe next month on my birthday... I do need to replace two of my shanks with stainless too though if I'm going to have all stainless faucets. Don't know. It is a tossup between keeping the brass Perlick 630PC's or the 525SS's. I've fixed the miscreant 525SS but I don't really trust the design on those.
UndeadFred

Postby andrewmaixner » Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:29 am

Intertap is back in stock, with some cool accessories: auto-shutoff springs, ball-lock faucet attachment, and of course the other stuff they had before also:

https://www.morebeer.com/search?search= ... &a_aid=hbf
andrewmaixner

Postby Matt F » Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:33 pm

Matt Franklin
Slappy Brewing North

On Tap:
Saison
Matt Damon in my Mouth
FYF Triple IPA

Up Next: