FS - CFC Chiller

Discussions about brewing equipment / design.

FS - CFC Chiller

Postby czubak » Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:10 am

I am selling my counterflow chiller. I am getting a longer unit to help with chill times on 10 gallon batches. Nothing wrong with it, has 1/2" MPT on the wort in/out and a 1/2" MPT on the water in (I use a camlock there and on my hose to prevent leaks) and a male garden hose fitting on the water out. No camlock included, I need that on my new one and Daryl bought all my camlocks :lol:

For reference https://www.morebeer.com/search?search= ... ow+chiller

$125
Chris Zubak
czubak

Re: FS - CFC Chiller

Postby andrewmaixner » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:36 am

Out of curiosity, what style of CFC are you moving to? I've been liking my 30ft stainless-in-a-radiator-hose CFC, though the cooldown time on a 10 or 15gal batch is painfully long if trying to chill the whole kettle.

I've found that it goes much faster if I get the kettle down to about 120, where the rate of cooling drops off, then redirect the flow from the kettle and into the fermenters, and it comes out at 70F. I just need to drop some cash on a some more 3-way hardware then it will be easy to do instead of annoying.
Last edited by andrewmaixner on Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
andrewmaixner

Postby czubak » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:38 am

Z-chiller large
Chris Zubak
czubak

Postby UndeadFred » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:54 am

I have a 25' copper garden hose chiller and a 50' "linear" or "parallel" copper CFC, with PEX outside (I think mine is unique). The fifty would likely totally kill a 10 gallon batch with my cold well water (like ..eh.. less than 15-20 minutes to pitch temperature), and hooking the two in series was pushing the pump too much. I might try running both of them as an experiment over Christmas recirculating them in parallel just for fun (on hot water) with my second "solar pump". I do recirculate and whirlpool until I hit about 90F with the 50' one (with ales, 80F with lagers) and then I pump into the carboy.. I'm typically at 60-65F at the end on ales. I typically do 6-6.5 gallons.. I've driven a lager down to 50F in the winter with that setup, but the well water was 45F at the time. Worst case is about this time of year or so when the well water is pushing 60-- maybe 9-11 minutes. In the winter 5-8 minutes... I love my CFC's, actually.

I post this because a CFC <=25' could likely be hooked in series with another 25' CFC and work really well, so you might want to consider that before selling it. I would definitely plug up a plate chiller (which is a CFC, actually with a more compact physical geometry) because I'm a klutz, and I knew that going into it.

Fred
UndeadFred

Postby UndeadFred » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:56 am

andrewmaixner wrote:Out of curiosity, what style of CFC are you moving to? I've been liking my 30ft stainless-in-a-radiator-hose CFC, though the cooldown time on a 10 or 15gal batch is painfully long if trying to chill the whole kettle.

I've found that it goes much faster if I get the kettle down to about 120, where the rate of cooling drops off, then redirect the flow from the kettle and into the fermenters, and it comes out at 70F. I just need to drop some cash on a some more 3-way hardware then it will be easy to do instead of annoying.

Andrew: I am convinced that recirculating until you get a cold break with a CFC/Pump setup is the preferable way to do it, anyway. Set up a whirlpool at the same time and most of the time you'll get a nice hop/trub cone in the center. I say most of the time because I'm a klutz and often jar the cone when transferring which isn't the end of the world anyway.
UndeadFred

Postby czubak » Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:56 am

Someone snatch this up before I end up putting this up on a forum and have to deal with shipping and low ballers.
Chris Zubak
czubak

Return to Equipment