Keg Size - Is Bigger Better...

Discussions about brewing equipment / design.

Keg Size - Is Bigger Better...

Postby daryl » Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:59 pm

There has been some chatter on the forum with regard to keg size...as it relates to keezer vs kegerator.

I have a three tap keezer...and I am thinking of going to 2.5 and/or 3 gallon kegs, for a variety of reasons.

1) If I use smaller kegs, my three tap keezer could easily be a 4-6 tap keezer. I can get three, maybe four 5-gallon kegs in there now (as soon as I get the CO2 tank outside). But I could take out one or two and stack two or four of the smaller kegs in there and have a wider variety of beer.

2) I like to partigyle batches of beer....and targeting 6-9 gallons total volume would allow me to get 2 styles in one brew day, that can be split between fermenter and then kegs.

I like have the big boy equipment, to do up to 10 gallons. But some styles, that I would like to have on tap, 5-gallons might be quite a bit.

Pat McCusker - I know you use smaller kegs....what drove you to make the decision to go smaller?

All in all, they are smaller, no harder to clean, and weight-wise, a lot easier to manage. Seems like a good trade off. Of course, at the expense of some CO2, could do smaller batches with 5-gallon kegs...but the current keezer would never be larger than 3 or 4 taps.

Thoughts?
In the Fridge/On Tap: Salted Caramel Porter
In the barrel/conditioning:
In the bucket: P-nut Brittle Ale, Blueberry and Blk Rasp. Mead; Tangerine Wheat; Spont. Funk; Swarthy Beagle
In the queue: Pils Urquell Clone, Traditional Irish Red Ale
daryl

Re: Keg Size - Is Bigger Better...

Postby wyzzyrdd » Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:52 pm

I have 5 gallon kegs, 2 1/2 gallon kegs, and 1 3/4 gallon kegs. I do not have a kegerator yet, but I expect to have one eventually. I will put 5 gallon kegs on the bottom, and smaller kegs on a shelf above them.

But that is not the only reason I have multiple sizes. I take product to Beernut festivals and SCA outings. Sometimes expect to go through 5 gallons at a week-long SCA event, and sometimes I expect to go through a gallon or so in a one-hour slot at a festival. And, small kegs are just a lot lighter to haul around than big kegs.

And I make lots of stuff. 5 to 6 gallons of beer at a time. 5 to 15 gallons of mead at a time. 20 to 30 gallons of cider at a time. It is not uncommon for me to split a large batch into several 5's and a couple of small kegs.

I have pushed a gallon and a half from a five gallon keg into a small keg for an afternoon event. And I have come back from a week event with a small amount of product in a 5-gallon keg. It's nice to be able to push it into a small keg and free up the 5.

I just like the flexibility.
Pat McCusker
wyzzyrdd

Postby carrisr » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:09 pm

The advantages of 5 gallon kegs is that you can get used ones pretty cheap and you obviously can use them for a range of batch sizes. I used to have all 5 gallon kegs for my small batches, but have been replacing them with 2.5 and 3 gallon. As you said, they are easier to handle. Less head space means I don't use as much CO2 for transferring or carbonating.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Randy Carris
Social Media Coordinator, CRBS
Randy All the Time Brewing
carrisr
Site Admin

Postby bf514921 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:10 pm

I have both 5 and 2.5 gallon kegs, I find. The 2.5 gallon are great for a mobile setup, or hauling around, I also have started to bottle half a batch to give away and have the 2.5 in the generator ready to go. 5s work well at home or for lagering

Sent from my LG-US780 using Tapatalk
Brandon Franklin - The other Franklin
bf514921

Return to Equipment