Tilt Hydrometer and Thermometer

Discussions about brewing equipment / design.

Tilt Hydrometer and Thermometer

Postby daryl » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:44 am

This looks very interesting.

https://tilthydrometer.com/products/copy-of-tilt-floating-wireless-hydrometer-and-thermometer-for-brewing

Does anyone have any experiences with this unit, or similar units, and would be willing to share their opinion here?

Tx
In the Fridge/On Tap: Salted Caramel Porter
In the barrel/conditioning:
In the bucket: P-nut Brittle Ale, Blueberry and Blk Rasp. Mead; Tangerine Wheat; Spont. Funk; Swarthy Beagle
In the queue: Pils Urquell Clone, American Wheat
daryl

Re: Tilt Hydrometer and Thermometer

Postby carrisr » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:15 pm

I've been using one over a year. It works well for me. A couple of things to bear in mind: first, you need a phone or tablet in close proximity to see the data. I have several old Android phones around from upgrades over the years. But others on forums have also set up Rasberry Pi boxes etc. Second, it transmits via BT, which is pretty weak. Plastic or glass shouldn't be a problem, but a SS fermenter inside a heavy fridge could potentially block the signal. I have my mobile device sitting on top of my small fridge and it works OK. Finally, the current app doesn't store data locally. But they've set it up to send your data to a Google Sheets file. So obviously you need a Google account unless you go the Pi route.

Is it worth the cost? I can't answer that for anyone else, but I'm glad I have it. I can track my fermentation over time and keep a chart for each batch.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Randy Carris
Robotic Brewer
Randy All the Time Brewing
carrisr
Site Admin

Postby carrisr » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:20 pm

I see from their site that a newer version is available. They claim better power/range. Also better accuracy, but that hasn't been an issue for me as it been at least as accurate as my hydrometer or refractometer.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Randy Carris
Robotic Brewer
Randy All the Time Brewing
carrisr
Site Admin

Postby DrPaulsen » Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:01 pm

I really like mine. Had to replace the battery after 5 or 6 batches and was pleasantly surpised at how easy it was to calibrate. Took about 30 seconds with a bowl of room temp water.

It's nice to be able to pull gravity readings to monitor fermentation without having to open the fermentor and add O2 exposure. I've found it useful for both lagers and NE-IPAs where you'd like to step the temp as fermentation progresses.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
DrPaulsen

Return to Equipment