Damn it NO!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Josh_Jensen

Re: Wicked Weed sells out.

Postby tony b » Wed May 03, 2017 9:11 am

Mr Bill - Oh No.jpg
Mr Bill - Oh No.jpg (5.02 KiB) Viewed 308 times
A Mighty Wind's A Brewing

“Life is short - break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile” ― Mae West
tony b

Postby jjpeanasky » Wed May 03, 2017 10:06 am

I don't know much about Wicked Weed, and have never had the pleasure of tasting their beer. However, after reading how fast they grew (4 locations, including a "headquarters" in less than 5 years?!) we all should have seen this coming. That kind of growth screams heavy investment capital to build a brand and then sell it off. Looking back, I don't think Wicked Weed was going to ever be anything but a behemoth.

Again, this is coming from a complete outsider. It's a shame that it goes this way. When it eventually finds its way into our market I'll probably try it once or twice, and then never again.

- Josh Peanasky
jjpeanasky

Postby tony b » Wed May 03, 2017 1:21 pm

I first visited there about 4 years ago, when they only had the original spot. You could tell then, that they were going to be a hit. They were doing stuff that was cutting edge and already doing collaborations with other big name brewers. A couple of pics from my trip.

20130412_155258.jpg
20130412_155258.jpg (1.56 MiB) Viewed 297 times

20130412_155214.jpg
20130412_155214.jpg (1.51 MiB) Viewed 297 times
A Mighty Wind's A Brewing

“Life is short - break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile” ― Mae West
tony b

Postby andrewmaixner » Wed May 03, 2017 2:33 pm

"I didn't sell out son, I bought in."
andrewmaixner

Postby Eric B » Wed May 03, 2017 6:15 pm

This saddens me. Went out there last year and loved Wicked Weed.
Eric Benda
On Draft-
Low-Life (Cream Ale)
IPeh (American IPA)
Immortal Wombat (American Amber)
Iowan Punch (NE Red IPA)
Porter Boat'n (American Porter)
Bowie's In Space (NE DIPA)
Eric B

Postby agray » Wed May 03, 2017 10:45 pm

That sucks. We were down in North Carolina last year and I had some of their beers. They were really good.

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk
agray

Postby karl » Thu May 04, 2017 7:17 am

It remains to be seen how autonomous and free to create the members of the AB-Inbev 'High End' business unit are allowed to be. For now, Goose Island and other craft partners still do some nice brewing. I think that AB leadership recognizes that real craft beer (and not fake craft like Shocktop) is a small but important part of the market. And, it gives them insight into the cutting-edge trends. I'm guardedly hopeful that quality will be maintained. But, I will not be surprised if there's some denominator management at some point.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
karl

Postby Matt F » Thu May 04, 2017 7:37 am

Corporate America will rear its ugly head at some point. The more craft market share they capture and the more natural resources they control, the harder it is for the little guy to do business. Wait until times are tough and all the High-End brands have to hit cost cutting targets to achieve performance goals. That is not what craft beer is about but it will be pushed by the new ownership at sometime in the not too distant future. They understand they have to leave the little guys they buy alone for now to continue to gain credibility to help them acquire more little guys. They look way further forward into the future than most of the folks they are acquiring. Most craft breweries started today have no exit strategy. Some day they will want to retire and they really don't have a plan in place. If no one they trust wants to continue with the business entity, you attempt to sell what you have. The highest and often only bidder will be the big guys. This trend is going to continue as the industry matures.

Small craft can continue to thrive just at a premium price. The US wine industry is a fine example. It comes down to consumers making a choice of who they wish to support with their money. Keep buying real craft beer my friends.
Matt Franklin
Slappy Brewing North

On Tap:
Saison
Matt Damon in my Mouth

Fermenting:
NE Pale Ale

Up Next:
Belgian Dubbel
Coffee Chocolate Latte Stout
Peanut Butter Cup Stout
Matt F

Postby fargo41 » Thu May 04, 2017 8:48 am

It is interesting the backlash to this. Wicked Weed lost two collaborations since this was announced. Black Project took Wicked weed's name off the collab beer they had aging and are going to blend it with something else and Jester King cancelled their collab as well.
Craig
fargo41

Postby carrisr » Thu May 04, 2017 9:17 am

My opposition to these buyouts has less to do with how the beers might change and more to do with how these effect the industry. Especially distribution. AB has a history of bullying already. The Craft brewery scene exists in part as a rebellion against this. I'm worried about the future of craft as this aquisition trend continues.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Randy Carris
Robotic Brewer
Randy All the Time Brewing
carrisr
Site Admin

Postby andrewmaixner » Fri May 05, 2017 8:37 am

Some of yall are about to really get pissed, Lagunitas just sold its remaining stake to Heineken
andrewmaixner

Postby TappedOut » Fri May 05, 2017 9:26 am

There's plenty of good beer out there, without giving my business to MegaBrew, Inc.
TappedOut

Postby bf514921 » Fri May 05, 2017 11:11 am

Why is everyone one so ticked that someone made bank selling a brewery, if it's that important go start a great craft brewery and don't sell it or vote with you own dough and don't buy the beer, can't craft be big? IF the beer is till good?

Sent from my LG-US780 using Tapatalk
Brandon Franklin - The other Franklin
bf514921

Next

Return to News