2017 - New Members Introduction

Events around the area.

Postby whitedj » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:24 pm

Welcome to the Cedar Rapids Beer Nuts Forum. Use this space to introduce yourself so you're not a complete stranger when you show up at a meeting!

There are many people in the club, from those that are interested in learning more about beer, to those that brew their own beer using extract or all-grain methods. There are many pros and cons to each and no one method is better than the other. The key is making beer that you enjoy, and learning about beer, too.

Meetings are open to the public and held the third Thursday of the month at a local establishment
(exception is November -- elections and member only -- and December is too busy with holidays).

How to Join the Cedar Rapids Beer Nuts? Dues are $20 for 2016.

Square Online: https://squareup.com/market/cedar-rapids-beer-nuts-homebrew-club

Square in person [available at meetings only!]: just bring your credit card.

Dwolla: PM whitedj to be invoiced

Cash or Check at the meeting.
The guy who submitted a barley wine in the Furious competition...
whitedj

Re: 2017 - New Members Introduction

Postby DJANS » Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:30 pm

My name is Doug Jansma I've been Brewing for about 2 years this February. Currently I'm extract Brewer trying to get better with my craft. Currently trying to start writing my own recipes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
DJANS

Postby bf514921 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:37 pm

Welcome doug, glad you found thegroup!

Sent from my LG-US780 using Tapatalk
Brandon Franklin - The other Franklin
bf514921

Postby Matt F » Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:14 pm

Welcome Doug! Glad you have caught the brewing bug. Pretty sure I have met you already. Look forward to seeing you at our meeting in January.
Matt Franklin
Slappy Brewing North

On Tap:
Saison
Matt Damon in my Mouth

Fermenting:
Tree House Julius Clone

Up Next:
Belgian Dubbel/Sour
Coffee Chocolate Latte Stout
Peanut Butter Cup Stout
Matt F

Postby twiggy2164 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:44 pm

Hello all, I'm Travis Kasper. I've done some extract brewing off and on for a few years. I just caught the bug bad a few months ago and I'm currently working on transitioning to all grain. I'm working on a few recipes and I've got a wheat beer in a secondary with some fresh mashed blueberry to be bottled Friday. Can't wait to meet everybody.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
twiggy2164

Postby jjpeanasky » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:41 pm

twiggy2164 wrote:Hello all, I'm Travis Kasper. I've done some extract brewing off and on for a few years. I just caught the bug bad a few months ago and I'm currently working on transitioning to all grain. I'm working on a few recipes and I've got a wheat beer in a secondary with some fresh mashed blueberry to be bottled Friday. Can't wait to meet everybody.

Welcome Travis! Sounds like a nice summer brew.

What are your plans for all grain? BIAB, 3 vessel system, something else? The guys in the club have a wide variety of systems, so if you're curious about a type of system, let is know. I'm sure we could get you to visit one on a brew day to see how it operates. Me, I brew 3 gallon BIAB.

- Josh Peanasky
jjpeanasky

Postby twiggy2164 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:49 pm

Thanks Josh! I'm going to do a 3 vessel system. Last weekend I picked up a mash tun with SS and copper fittings made from a rectangular cooler and a pretty nice burner. Still need at least a 10 gallon boil kettle, I've got a 6 gallon kettle I've been doing my extract brews. Not in too big of a hurry for my new kettle tho, might be a few weeks before I get a chance to brew again.

twiggy2164

Postby tony b » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:21 pm

Please come to the Club meeting tomorrow night @ Sag Wagon, if you can make it. We'd love to meet you.
A Mighty Wind's A Brewing

“Life is short - break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile” ― Mae West
tony b

Postby twiggy2164 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:24 pm

I should be able to. I see the social hour starts at 7. How late to meetings usually run?

twiggy2164

Postby tony b » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:28 pm

twiggy2164 wrote:I should be able to. I see the social hour starts at 7. How late to meetings usually run?

'til they kick us out!

Usually we're actually done with the business part of the meeting by 9 or 9:30, but we stick around to share more beer, either at the venue hosting the meeting, but sometimes we have an "after party" at another bar/brewery.

“Life is short - break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile” ― Mae West
tony b

Postby twiggy2164 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:32 pm

Hahaha, sounds good. I've got Friday off work but I do have to get up early. I'm smoking 40lbs of pork shoulder for a party. I'll bring a few bombers of the last brew I made. Got a session IPA that turned out a bit maltier than I wanted, but it's kind of grown on me as it's aged a few more weeks.

twiggy2164

Postby tony b » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:37 pm

Bonus! You BBQ, too! Several of us in the Club are serious BBQ'ers, too. Tim (our President emeritus) actually does it as a side hustle - catering and is vending at this year's BBQ Roundup. The Club usually has a picnic in the Fall that also is a fun BBQ competition. We usually vary the protein from year to year - ribs, brisket, chicken, wings, pork butt. Can't wait to meet you and chat.

tony b

Postby daryl » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:22 am

Welcome Travis.

BBQ and Brew...you're gonna fit right in.

The places that we meet allow us to do homebrew bottle shares. So, if you have something you would like to share and/or get some feedback, feel free to bring a crowler, growler, or a bottle or two.
In the Fridge/On Tap: Salted Caramel Porter
In the barrel/conditioning:
In the bucket: P-nut Brittle Ale, Blueberry and Blk Rasp. Mead; Tangerine Wheat; Spont. Funk; Swarthy Beagle
In the queue: Pils Urquell Clone, American Wheat
daryl

Postby Matt F » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:26 pm

Welcome Travis! I look forward to meeting you. Sounds like you are well on your way to a three vessel system. You can use that 6 gallon kettle for a HLT if doing 5 gallon batches. My first setup in allg rain used an 8.5 gallon HLT for 10 gallon batches and we made it work. Hope to see you tonight.
Matt Franklin
Slappy Brewing North

On Tap:
Saison
Matt Damon in my Mouth

Fermenting:
Tree House Julius Clone

Up Next:
Belgian Dubbel/Sour
Coffee Chocolate Latte Stout
Peanut Butter Cup Stout
Matt F

Postby twiggy2164 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:39 pm

That's the plan Matt, just using my 6 gallon at my HLT. I'll be doing mostly 5 gallon batches. Maybe some 2.5 if I'm trying something completely different. I'm looking forward to tonight. See y'all then.

twiggy2164

Next

Return to Upcoming Events