FastFermenter

Discussions about brewing equipment / design.

FastFermenter

Postby daryl » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:55 am

Do any of you use a FastFermenter? http://www.fastbrewing.com/products/fastferment

How do you like it?

If you had one, what caused you to get rid of it?
In the Fridge/On Tap: Salted Caramel Porter, Barrel-Aged Porter
In the barrel/conditioning:
In the bucket: P-nut Brittle Ale, Blueberry and Blk Rasp. Mead; Tangerine Wheat; Spont. Sour; Swarthy Beagle
In the queue: Pils Urquell Clone, American Wheat
daryl

Re: FastFermenter

Postby tony b » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:27 am

I have one, but don't use it regularly. I've had a couple of issues with it - the biggest being getting the lid to seal tight. It's a wimpy flat gasket and I end up using a couple of layers of Teflon tape on the threads to get it to seal tight. I believe that they've upgraded the gasket, based on some info on their website. I will see if Joe can get me one, as he carries FastFermenters in his shop. I'm also interested in the new insulated cover for doing temperature control.

Same with the ball valve assembly on the bottom to keep it from leaking - several layers of Teflon tape on the threads. The ball valve is a bit of a pain to clean well, unless you completely take it apart.

On the upside, it is really easy to transfer the beer to the kegs with minimal oxygen contact, so I tend to only use it for highly hopped beers. If you want to harvest yeast and re-pitch, then this setup is ideal. If you're doing standard 5 gal batches, no worries about needing blowoff tubes, as there's lots of head space.

I see that they've got a new bigger one - 14 gallons. Nice price on the pre-sale bundle, too.
A Mighty Wind's A Brewing

“Life is short - break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile” ― Mae West
tony b

Postby whitedj » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:42 am

I have one. Its good in concept, but i find it i pain to use due to cleaning and im afraid ill strip the threads by tightening too much.

If i were to do it again id go with a stainless conical with out threads. I hate threads.
The guy who submitted a barley wine in the Furious competition...
whitedj

Postby Matt F » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:17 pm

If your are looking for fermenters and not going full blown stainless conical, I cannot recommend the 7 gallon Fermonsters enough. Really cheap, easy to clean, easy to transfer beer with a spigot installed. I added spigots from Williams that have a 90 degree back so can get closer to the bottom. Easy to take apart to clean and sanitize between brews and have had no problem with leaks.

Josh Jensen just started using some too so not sure if he likes as much as I do. Guessing he may chime in. The smooth sides make them much easier to clean than the stuff from Northern Brewer. I was a hardcore glass guy for years but haven been happy with these for over a year now.

For collecting yeast, I have found it easier with my setup to make the starter bigger than it needs to be and save the extra for the next batch.
Attachments
Spigot from Williams.jpg
Spigot from Williams.jpg (85.32 KiB) Viewed 365 times
7 Gallon Fermonsters.jpg
7 Gallon Fermonsters.jpg (125.41 KiB) Viewed 365 times
Matt Franklin
Slappy Brewing North

On Tap:
Saison
Matt Damon in my Mouth

Fermenting:
NE Pale Ale

Up Next:
Belgian Dubbel
Coffee Chocolate Latte Stout
Peanut Butter Cup Stout
Matt F

Postby daryl » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:32 pm

I like the 90 degree spigot....when did you get them, I can not find them on Williams website.
In the bucket: P-nut Brittle Ale, Blueberry and Blk Rasp. Mead; Tangerine Wheat; Spont. Sour; Swarthy Beagle
daryl

Postby UndeadFred » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:55 pm

I have one 7 gallon Fermonster. I will second that it's pretty darned awesome for the price. I think I'll need to add a bottom spigot to it.. I've been debating that for quite some time. Unlike the Big Mouth Bubblers, the lids are tight on these suckers. If you are not careful, yours will look like mine and have the lid partially chewed up by using a large pair of Channel Locks on it once to get the lid off! The PET is THICK on those too. .I suspect you could CO2 transfer if you were careful about it.

Having said that.. If I were to do it all over again, I'd save up for stainless buckets at the very least or stainless conicals (even better). I've started to use two (converted) pin locks to ferment 6 gallons split in. I pitch in the keggle after cooling but when still recirculating, and then transfer (by eyeball, it's not critical) to two washed/sanitized kegs. (I put the temp controller probe on one of them and assume the second is close enough.. no issues with that yet) Then when I transfer to the serving keg, I fill it full and take the rest off in a growler or meowler for cooking with. It is probably all mental, but I think that the beers turn out better in stainless. Has to be all mental. But by doing that a few times, I think a actual 10+ gallon stainless can of some sort is in my future.

My objection to the Fast Ferment was the price. Honestly, you are more than 1/2 way to a stainless fermenter at the $100 or so that costs.

Fred
UndeadFred

Postby Matt F » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:19 pm

I plan to upgrade to a conical some day. My current favorite is the one coming from Spike.
https://spikebrewing.com/collections/fe ... -fermenter

Here is a link to those 90 degree back pieces for the spigot.
https://www.williamsbrewing.com/INVERT- ... -P179.aspx
Matt Franklin
Slappy Brewing North

On Tap:
Saison
Matt Damon in my Mouth

Fermenting:
NE Pale Ale

Up Next:
Belgian Dubbel
Peanut Butter Cup Stout
Matt F

Postby tony b » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:32 pm

If you like the "Sample spigot" idea, FastFermenter also sells one, with the drill bit to cut the hole.

http://www.fastbrewing.com/content/fastferment-accessory-sample-port

“Life is short - break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile” ― Mae West
tony b

Postby brianhall1024 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:33 pm

I have a fastfermenterband dont like it very much either, actually had my lid crack from last years wort rally fermentation

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
brianhall1024

Postby daryl » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:00 am

Here is a new option....

http://www.oxebar.com.au/fermentasaurus/

Fermentasaurus-Profile-in-Stand.jpg
Fermentasaurus-Profile-in-Stand.jpg (375.27 KiB) Viewed 294 times
daryl

Postby Matt F » Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:42 pm

Pretty cool. Let me know if anyone sees one at the conference this week. Curious about it.
Matt Franklin
Slappy Brewing North

On Tap:
Saison
Matt Damon in my Mouth

Fermenting:
NE Pale Ale

Up Next:
Belgian Dubbel
Peanut Butter Cup Stout
Matt F

Postby tony b » Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:46 pm

The interesting twist on this design was the pressurizing cap, so you can dispense directly from the conical - no transfers needed!

tony b

Postby Matt F » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:54 pm

I was surprised it is rated to handle that much pressure. Have to see what people think of them.
Matt Franklin
Slappy Brewing North

On Tap:
Saison
Matt Damon in my Mouth

Fermenting:
NE Pale Ale

Up Next:
Belgian Dubbel
Peanut Butter Cup Stout
Matt F

Postby daryl » Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:04 pm

Would have to keep it in the dark and not skunk the beer, but I guess it is not any more susceptible as a carboy.
daryl

Postby Matt F » Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:00 pm

Inside a fridge is dark.
Matt Franklin
Slappy Brewing North

On Tap:
Saison
Matt Damon in my Mouth

Fermenting:
NE Pale Ale